[nfbwatlk] Question about Testing Procedures

Jedi loneblindjedi at samobile.net
Wed Jan 28 05:14:34 UTC 2009

Fellow Federationists:

I would like your advice. I have decided to opt out of the SSD office
at my university in most cases because it's not terribly efficient in
helping blind students succeed in a timely and convenient fashion.
generally speaking, I have been able to arrange appropriate
accommodations without difficulty. Most teachers have been really
helpful in providing tests and other homework in electronic format, or
letting me decide who to work with and under what conditions. Recently,
i began a class in Special education. The professor uses a test program
that apparently doesn't allow for electronic tests usable by students
in any fashion. So, I decided that hiring a reader would be
appropriate. At first, my teacher agreed providing that I cover myself
by giving her proof of my blindness such as an eligibility letter for
voc rehab services. I was fine with that. Tonight however, she sent me
an e-mail saying that she'd never had a student opt out of using SSD
offices, so she asked a higher-up in her department if I could indeed
use my own reader. Apparently, according to her, I cannot. Apparently,
I am required to use SSD provided readers for this exam. I was under
the impression that I am allowed to hire and utilize my own readers
and/or choose not to utilize SSD support in my classes. I can
understand why she would prefer me to use an SSD reader so as to guard
against possible cheating. I, however, am perfectly fine not hiring the
reader who ordinarily reads my textbook to me. i have a few readers to
choose from. What are my rights in this situation? What are my options?
What would you do if you were me? Thanks very much for your help.

--
REspectfully,
Jedi