[nfbwatlk] FW: Sound Transit CEO Report

Jacob Struiksma lawnmower84 at hotmail.com
Fri Oct 16 23:03:14 UTC 2009

  _____

From: Sound Transit [mailto:soundtransit at govdelivery.com]
Sent: Friday, October 16, 2009 3:21 PM
To: lawnmower84 at hotmail.com
Subject: Sound Transit CEO Report

  <http://htmlmail.soundtransit.org/ceoreport/ST-logohorizBLUE.gif>

 Wave <http://htmlmail.soundtransit.org/ceoreport/CEO-header.jpg>

CEO Report

  <http://www.soundtransit.org/images/about/Earl_head.jpg>

>From Joni Earl

Oct. 16, 2009

In this edition

*
UW Regional Roundtable

*
Seattle Lighthouse White Cane Safety Day

*
Photo of the Week

*
Kirkland Transit Center groundbreaking coming up

*
Sound Transit wins APTA awards

UW Regional Roundtable

On Wednesday, I was honored to be part of a regional roundtable discussion
on Metropolitan Prosperity and Regional Sustainability at the University of
Washington.

Together with Bruce Katz of the Brookings Institute, Gene Duvernoy of the
Cascade Land Conservancy, Denis Hayes president and CEO of the Bullitt
Foundation, and Daniel Friedman of the UW College of Built Environments, we
discussed regional approaches to economic growth, environmental
sustainability and metropolitan prosperity. This was a kickoff event for the
NEXT CITY: Sustainable Urbanization series at the UW.

In addition, Greg Nickels, Seattle Mayor and Sound Transit Board Chair, was
a guest speaker at the event.

Seattle Lighthouse White Cane Safety Day

Thursday morning the Seattle Lighthouse held its national White Cane Safety
Day at the Mount Baker light rail station in honor of the 45th anniversary
of the creation of national White Cane Day in 1964. This annual event honors
the independence and freedom the white cane offers blind and deaf-blind
individuals. Holding White Cane Day at the Mount Baker light rail station
allowed us to spotlight the accessibility of our new light rail line.

I was pleased to be one of the speakers at the event, which emphasized
pedestrian safety and visibility, accessibility and independence for the
blind, blind-deaf and visually impaired community members.

The day also included a tour of the new station that helped us understand
the facility from the perspective of someone who is sight impaired.

Photo of the Week

Our photo this week shows a group of us touring the Mount Baker light rail
station during White Cane Day.

<http://links.govdelivery.com:80/track?type=click&enid=bWFpbGluZ2lkPTYwOTAwN
yZtZXNzYWdlaWQ9UFJELUJVTC02MDkwMDcmZGF0YWJhc2VpZD0xMDAxJnNlcmlhbD0xMjE1NTkwN
TAzJmVtYWlsaWQ9bGF3bm1vd2VyODRAaG90bWFpbC5jb20mdXNlcmlkPWxhd25tb3dlcjg0QGhvd
G1haWwuY29tJmV4dHJhPSYmJg==&&&100&&&http://www.soundtransit.org/newsroom/pho
to/> http://www.soundtransit.org/newsroom/photo/.

Kirkland Transit Center groundbreaking coming up

If you can, please join us Tuesday morning for groundbreaking of the new
Kirkland Transit Center. The existing transit center, built 22 years ago, is
being completely transformed by adding new waiting areas, passenger
shelters, better pedestrian crossings and landscaping. The project also
includes improved traffic signals and intersections.

The Kirkland Transit Center is an important transit hub on the Eastside and
will connect riders with downtown Kirkland, the Peter Kirk Park, Kirkland
Performance Center and the expanded Kirkland Library, which opens in
December.

Greg Nickels, Seattle Mayor and Sound Transit Board Chair, is master of
ceremonies for the groundbreaking, which is Tuesday at 10:30 a.m. at the
transit center site, Third Street and Park Lane in downtown Kirkland.
Mary-Alyce Burleigh, Kirkland City Councilmember and Sound Transit
Boardmember, will also be part of the program.

Sound Transit wins APTA awards

We were pleased to learn that Sound Transit won three first-place AdWheel
Awards, presented at the American Public Transportation Association annual
meeting last week in Orlando, Fla. The awards were for our ST2 direct mail
piece that went out before the ST2 election a year ago, the Go Hawks Poster
and the Seahawks public service announcement that is played during Seahawks
games.

Sound Transit also won a special Niche Award for our "Transit Saves" ad
campaign. This award best showcased the cost savings benefit and economic
value of public transportation.

 Union Station image
<http://htmlmail.soundtransit.org/ceoreport/UnionStationLeftImage.gif>

You can update or cancel your subscription at any time by clicking here
<http://links.govdelivery.com:80/track?type=click&enid=bWFpbGluZ2lkPTYwOTAwN
yZtZXNzYWdlaWQ9UFJELUJVTC02MDkwMDcmZGF0YWJhc2VpZD0xMDAxJnNlcmlhbD0xMjE1NTkwN
TAzJmVtYWlsaWQ9bGF3bm1vd2VyODRAaG90bWFpbC5jb20mdXNlcmlkPWxhd25tb3dlcjg0QGhvd
G1haWwuY29tJmV4dHJhPSYmJg==&&&101&&&https://service.govdelivery.com/service/
user.html?code=WASOUND> . If you have any questions please contact
support at govdelivery.com .
All content on the Sound Transit Web site, including but not limited to
text, graphics, video, logos, button icons, databases and images, is the
property of Sound Transit or its content suppliers and is protected by
copyright laws. Please visit our Web site for information about Copyright
<http://links.govdelivery.com:80/track?type=click&enid=bWFpbGluZ2lkPTYwOTAwN
yZtZXNzYWdlaWQ9UFJELUJVTC02MDkwMDcmZGF0YWJhc2VpZD0xMDAxJnNlcmlhbD0xMjE1NTkwN
TAzJmVtYWlsaWQ9bGF3bm1vd2VyODRAaG90bWFpbC5jb20mdXNlcmlkPWxhd25tb3dlcjg0QGhvd
G1haWwuY29tJmV4dHJhPSYmJg==&&&102&&&http://www.soundtransit.org/x2560.xml>
Information and our Privacy Policy.

GovDelivery, Inc. sending on behalf of Sound Transit . 401 South Jackson St
. Seattle WA 98104 . 206-398-5000

<http://links.govdelivery.com:80/track?enid=bWFpbGluZ2lkPTYwOTAwNyZtZXNzYWdl
aWQ9UFJELUJVTC02MDkwMDcmZGF0YWJhc2VpZD0xMDAxJnR5cGU9b3BlbiZzZXJpYWw9MTIxNTU5
MDUwMyZlbWFpbGlkPWxhd25tb3dlcjg0QGhvdG1haWwuY29tJnVzZXJpZD1sYXdubW93ZXI4NEBo
b3RtYWlsLmNvbSZleHRyYT0mJiY=>