[nfbwatlk] FW: Sound Transit CEO Report

Jacob Struiksma lawnmower84 at hotmail.com
Sat Oct 24 06:49:46 UTC 2009

  _____

From: Sound Transit [mailto:soundtransit at govdelivery.com]
Sent: Friday, October 23, 2009 4:27 PM
To: lawnmower84 at hotmail.com
Subject: Sound Transit CEO Report

  <http://htmlmail.soundtransit.org/ceoreport/ST-logohorizBLUE.gif>

 Wave <http://htmlmail.soundtransit.org/ceoreport/CEO-header.jpg>

CEO Report

  <http://www.soundtransit.org/images/about/Earl_head.jpg>

>From Joni Earl

Oct. 23, 2009

In this edition

*
Contract approved for University Link tunnel work

*
Link tour today

*
Kirkland Transit Center work is now underway

*
Photo of the Week

*
Capitol Hill Station meeting next Tuesday

*
Sound Transit Board action on Thursday

Contract approved for University Link tunnel work

The Sound Transit Board on Thursday unanimously approved a contract to dig
twin-bored tunnels between the Capitol Hill Station and downtown Seattle for
the University Link light rail extension.

The contract, with JCM U-Link Joint Venture, is for $168.9 million, which
includes a 10 percent contingency. The firm's bid was 12 percent below the
engineer's estimate.

Construction is underway on the 3.15-mile U-Link project that extends light
rail from Westlake Station in the Downtown Seattle Transit Tunnel to the
University of Washington with stations at Capitol Hill and on the University
of Washington campus near Husky Stadium. University Link is scheduled to
open in 2016 and add more than 70,000 daily riders to the system.

Link tour today

Earlier today, I was part of a Link light rail tour of about 20 people that
focused on current and future development near the light rail line and
stations in the Rainier Valley.

The tour included Rep. Judy Clibborn, Chair of the House Transportation
Committee, Rep. Geoff Simpson, Chair of the House Local Government and
Housing Committee, Rep. Dave Upthegrove and Rep. Scott White. Also joining
us were staff members from the House Transportation and Local Government
committees.

During the tour, we stopped at the Othello Station to discuss
transit-oriented development (TOD) plans. We also talked about transit and
land use over lunch in Columbia City not far from the light rail station.
During lunch we were also briefed on the Spring District TOD project in the
East Link Corridor. The trip included a tour of the Beacon Hill Station and
discussion with El Centro de la Raza about its plans. I thought the outing
was very informative and productive.

The event was organized by Futurewise, Transportation Choices Coalition,
housing groups and Sound Transit.

Kirkland Transit Center work is underway

On Tuesday, we officially broke ground on the new Kirkland Transit Center.
This project includes completely transforming the existing transit center,
built 22 years ago, by adding new waiting areas, passenger shelters, better
pedestrian crossings and landscaping. The new center will also have improved
traffic signals and intersections.

Greg Nickels, Seattle Mayor and Sound Transit Board Chair, was master of
ceremonies for the groundbreaking. Speakers included Boardmember Mary-Alyce
Burleigh, who is also a Kirkland Councilmember, Kirkland Mayor Jim Lauinger
and King County Councilmember Jane Hague.

The Kirkland Transit Center is a very important transit hub on the Eastside.
It connects riders with downtown Kirkland, the Peter Kirk Park, Kirkland
Performance Center and the expanded Kirkland Library, which opens in
December.

Photo of the Week

Our photo this week shows officials at the Kirkland Transit Center
groundbreaking. http://www.soundtransit.org/newsroom/photo/
<http://links.govdelivery.com:80/track?type=click&enid=bWFpbGluZ2lkPTYxNTk2N
yZtZXNzYWdlaWQ9UFJELUJVTC02MTU5NjcmZGF0YWJhc2VpZD0xMDAxJnNlcmlhbD0xMjE1NTk0M
jg5JmVtYWlsaWQ9bGF3bm1vd2VyODRAaG90bWFpbC5jb20mdXNlcmlkPWxhd25tb3dlcjg0QGhvd
G1haWwuY29tJmV4dHJhPSYmJg==&&&100&&&http://www.soundtransit.org/newsroom/pho
to/> .

Capitol Hill Station meeting next Tuesday

I wanted to give you a quick reminder that we're having a public forum next
Tuesday to discuss transit-oriented development after construction is
complete at the Capitol Hill light rail station. This is the third in a
series of quarterly community forums exploring future transit oriented
development ideas at the station site.

The forum is Tuesday, Oct. 27 from 6 to 8 p.m. at the Century Ballroom, 915
E. Pine Street in  Seattle

The Sound Transit Board on Thursday:

*	Adopted the Sound Transit 2010 State Legislative Program and
directed staff to continue evaluating issues for impact to the agency as it
continues to successfully implement the regional transportation system.

*	Approved a contract for legal services with the law firm Davis
Wright Tremaine and ratified execution of a litigation services contract
with the law firm Davis Wright Tremaine.

 Union Station image
<http://htmlmail.soundtransit.org/ceoreport/UnionStationLeftImage.gif>

You can update or cancel your subscription at any time by clicking here
<http://links.govdelivery.com:80/track?type=click&enid=bWFpbGluZ2lkPTYxNTk2N
yZtZXNzYWdlaWQ9UFJELUJVTC02MTU5NjcmZGF0YWJhc2VpZD0xMDAxJnNlcmlhbD0xMjE1NTk0M
jg5JmVtYWlsaWQ9bGF3bm1vd2VyODRAaG90bWFpbC5jb20mdXNlcmlkPWxhd25tb3dlcjg0QGhvd
G1haWwuY29tJmV4dHJhPSYmJg==&&&101&&&https://service.govdelivery.com/service/
user.html?code=WASOUND> . If you have any questions please contact
support at govdelivery.com .
All content on the Sound Transit Web site, including but not limited to
text, graphics, video, logos, button icons, databases and images, is the
property of Sound Transit or its content suppliers and is protected by
copyright laws. Please visit our Web site for information about Copyright
<http://links.govdelivery.com:80/track?type=click&enid=bWFpbGluZ2lkPTYxNTk2N
yZtZXNzYWdlaWQ9UFJELUJVTC02MTU5NjcmZGF0YWJhc2VpZD0xMDAxJnNlcmlhbD0xMjE1NTk0M
jg5JmVtYWlsaWQ9bGF3bm1vd2VyODRAaG90bWFpbC5jb20mdXNlcmlkPWxhd25tb3dlcjg0QGhvd
G1haWwuY29tJmV4dHJhPSYmJg==&&&102&&&http://www.soundtransit.org/x2560.xml>
Information and our Privacy Policy.

GovDelivery, Inc. sending on behalf of Sound Transit . 401 South Jackson St
. Seattle WA 98104 . 206-398-5000

<http://links.govdelivery.com:80/track?enid=bWFpbGluZ2lkPTYxNTk2NyZtZXNzYWdl
aWQ9UFJELUJVTC02MTU5NjcmZGF0YWJhc2VpZD0xMDAxJnR5cGU9b3BlbiZzZXJpYWw9MTIxNTU5
NDI4OSZlbWFpbGlkPWxhd25tb3dlcjg0QGhvdG1haWwuY29tJnVzZXJpZD1sYXdubW93ZXI4NEBo
b3RtYWlsLmNvbSZleHRyYT0mJiY=>