[nfbwatlk] Sub minimum wage

Leslie Fitzpatrick lfitz50 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 20 03:31:21 UTC 2011

Go Gary

-----Original Message-----
From: nfbwatlk-bounces at nfbnet.org [mailto:nfbwatlk-bounces at nfbnet.org] On
Behalf Of Gary Mackenstadt
Sent: Tuesday, July 19, 2011 8:11 PM
To: NFB of Washington Talk Mailing List
Subject: [nfbwatlk] Sub minimum wage

In American history, the struggle for a minimum wage has been very intense
and sometimes violent. Unfortunately, blind people and otherwise disabled
people have been subjected to different treatment.
Sub minimum wage has been okay according to the experts. The so called
experts frequently  disguise the sub minimum wage with what is called a
piece rate.

In 1976, when I became director of rehabilitation training of Blind
Industries and Services of Maryland I gavea a llot of thought to how
rehabilitation services could be changed to meet the needs of the blind.

The first program I evaluated was the evaluation center where blind people
were paid by piece rate. I decided to put myself through the evaluation
program. Of the 21 tests which were administered I eliminated seventeen. I
was also evaluated on piecenrate. I decided to eliminate all piece rate and
to pay minimum wage to those individuals in the program. There is no factual
or logical basis for the payment of sub minimum wage. Anyone who believes
there is justification for sub minimum  wage is either ignorant or lying
through their teeth..
Gary Mackenstadt