[nfbwatlk] Stranded by airline, a disabled D.C. activist crawled off his flight. But the humiliation was far from over.

Debby Phillips semisweetdebby at gmail.com
Thu Oct 29 17:18:12 UTC 2015

Hi all, I thought this might be of interest to some of you.  I
was quite outraged for this guy.  And the comments were
ridiculous!     Debby

off his flight.  But the humiliation was far from over.
Date sent: Wed, 28 Oct 2015 07:19:49 -0700

<http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2015/10/28/str
anded-
by-airline-a-disabled-d-c-activist-crawled-off-his-flight-but-the
-humil
iation-was-far-from-over/?wpmm=1&wpisrc=nl_p3most

By Michael E.  Miller
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/people/michael-e-miller>  October
28 at
4:34 AM

Photo

D'Arcee Neal in London, where he went to graduate school.
(Courtesy of
D'Arcee Neal)

D'Arcee Neal dutifully waited for a wheelchair.

He had just flown five hours from San Francisco to his hometown
of D.C.
without a bathroom break because his cerebral palsy prevented him
from
using the United Airlines toilets.  Then he had waited the usual
fifteen
minutes for the plane to empty before someone could help him exit
in a
special narrowly built wheelchair.  But the wheelchair never
came.

So D'Arcee waited.

And waited.

And waited.

Until finally, he could wait no longer.  As stunned flight
attendants
looked on, 29-year-old Neal fell to the floor and proceeded to
drag
himself roughly 50 feet to the airplane's door, where his own
wheelchair was waiting for him.

"The craziest thing was that while that was happening, the
attendants
just stared.  They just couldn't believe I was doing that.  It
just
seemed so unfathomable to them," Neal told The Washington Post.
"By the
time they came to their senses I was already out of the plane."

By now, you might have heard of D'Arcee Neal.  His horrific Oct.
20
flight made international news.  "Outrage as man with cerebral
palsy was
forced to crawl off plane," ran one headline
<http://www.inquisitr.com/2523210/darcee-neal-outrage-as-man-with
-cereb
ral-palsy-was-forced-to-crawl-off-plane/>  in the U.K.  "Severely
disabled man on plane crawls down aisle," read another
<http://www.examiner.com/article/d-arcee-neal-severely-disabled-m
an-on-
plane-crawls-down-aisle> .  And when United Airlines promptly
issued an
apology and a check, Neal appeared to be on his way to joining
the long
list of people who have been abused and then paid by the airline
industry.

What you probably haven't heard, however, is what happened
afterwards:
the ignorance, the Internet comments, the wild accusations and
the
humiliation of crawling on one's hands in public - relived over
and
over online.

"There is a contingent of the Internet thinks that I'm faking or
I'm
opportunistic and I just want to get paid," Neal said.  "Somebody
even
said that I was doing it to raise the profile of Black Lives
Matter,
which I was really offended by."

The first thing you should know about D'Arcee Neal is that his
life has
been pretty darn tough.  The D.C.  native is African American,
openly gay
and disabled - a triple minority - after all.

"I was born with cerebral palsy," he told The Post in a telephone
interview Tuesday night, recounting how he wasn't allowed to
pursue
acting in college because the university theater wasn't
wheelchair
accessible, and how his expensive wheelchair was stolen last year
<http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/local/Darcee-Neal-Wheelchair-S
tolen-
in-Logan-Circle-264838691.html>  while he watched after a
friend's
apartment.  "I deal with all kinds of craziness that able-bodied
people
just have no clue about."

But the second thing you should know about him is that he
definitely
doesn't want to be pitied.

"I'm an activist, a storyteller, I perform with The Gay Men's
Chorus of
Washington [D.C.].  I perform," he said.  "I just got done doing
production of 'Little Shop of Horrors' at The Arlington Players
as the
plant.  We had a five star review.

"I do things professionally in my life.  And yes I have a
cerebral
palsy.  And yes I use a wheelchair.  But it doesn't make me any
less of a
person.  It doesn't make me any less of a citizen.  People around
the
city are just like 'oh,' when they see you.  The bar is lowered a
little
bit.  And that is infuriating.  I'm almost 30 years old.  I pay
my taxes.
And they look at you like, 'I'm just really sorry.  I'm sorry
that that
is your life.' Well, I'm sorry you feel like that."

His attitude has propelled him to London for graduate school and
into a
career advocating for better treatment of the disabled.

In fact, last week's incident occurred as Neal was returning from
work trip to San Francisco where, as an employee of United
Cerebral
Palsy, he met with Uber executives to discuss improving the
"ride-sharing" service for people with disabilities.

But it was another company that needed his advice, it seems.

Neal's return trip to D.C.  began badly.  Instead of asking him
to board
first, as is airline policy, a United gate agent in San Francisco
forgot and seated the rest of the plane, he said.  As a result,
it was
nearly impossible for Neal to take his seat, even with the help
of the
special, narrow aisle wheelchair.  (His own chair is too wide for
the
aisles and was stored during the flight.)

It was disembarkation, however, that would prove disastrous.

His plane touched down at Ronald Reagan Washington National
Airport at
around 10 p.m.  on Tuesday, Oct.  10.  First, Neal waited as his
fellow
passengers streamed off the aircraft.  Then he waited for a
United
employee or contractor to come and help him exit the plane as he
had
entered: on the narrow aisle wheelchair.

But as the delay dragged on, and Neal sat on the plane with only
a few
flight attendants, his patience began to wear thin.

"When the staff didn't show up, I asked the flight attendant what
was
going," he said.  "They were just doing their job, and they told
me,
'Just stay here.  Just wait.  I'm sure he'll be here in a few
minutes.'"

After about 35 minutes, Neal asked again if someone was on the
way with
a wheelchair, repeating that he really needed to use the restroom
in
the airport.  "He asked me why I couldn't use the bathroom on the
plane," Neal told The Post.  "But I can't even get up to the
toilet
bowl" in the tiny airplane lavatories.

After about 45 minutes, Neal had had enough.  When the flight
attendant
told him his own wheelchair was waiting for him just off the
plane,
Neal decided it was time to go it alone.

"Honestly, I expected the flight attendants [to help me] once
they saw
that I have a disability, once they knew that I had to use the
bathroom," he said.  "The next words out of their mouths should
have
been: 'How can we assist you? What can we do to make that
possible?'

"I'm not going to use the airplane bathroom when a perfectly
acceptable
[wheelchair accessible] bathroom was 10 feet from the door to the
terminal.  If you could just let me off this plane, then I could
go to
the bathroom the regular way instead of you trying to cram me
into this
closet.

"So at that point I got out of my chair and onto the floor and
started
crawling up the aisle," he recalled.  "One of the flight
attendants
turned around and was like, 'Oh, you can't be serious.'"

He was.

Neal crawled roughly 50 feet on his elbows from his seat in 11 F
to the
door of the plane and then onto the jet bridge, where his
wheelchair
had been left for him.  Some of the flight attendants were
stunned.  One,
however, had the presence of mind to bring Neal's bag and help
him up
the steep jet bridge to the terminal.

Neal was angry, but he was also used to it.

"This is the third or fourth time this has happened" with United,
he
claimed.  Neal said he had missed several connecting flights
because of
similar delays in receiving wheelchair assistance, but he had
never
resorted to crawling off the plane - until now.

"I mean, it's humiliating," he told NBC Washington
<http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/local/Man-With-Disabilities-Cr
awls-O
ff-Plane-After-Airline-Fails-to-Assist-Him-336076281.html> .  "No
one
should have to do what I did."

Still, he didn't want to make an issue out of it.

"I went to the bathroom and went home," he said.  "I didn't say
anything
to anybody.  I wasn't being rude or anything.  I was just tired
and
frustrated and it was annoying."

Neal arrived home just before midnight, fell asleep and then
headed to
work the next morning as if nothing happened.  When he came home
that
evening, however, he got a call from United.

Someone had complained about the incident - but it wasn't Neal.
It was
one of the flight attendants who felt Neal had been neglected.

Now a United representative was telling him that the airline had
"dropped the ball," the situation was "completely unacceptable"
and
that the employee responsible had been suspended, according to
Neal.

Those claims generally match a statement United sent to CNN
<http://www.cnn.com/2015/10/25/us/united-airlines-disabled-man/>
on
Tuesday.

"As customers began to exit the aircraft, we made a mistake and
told
the agent with the aisle chair that it was no longer needed, and
it was
removed from the area," the airline said
<http://www.cnn.com/2015/10/25/us/united-airlines-disabled-man/>