[Oabs] Hello 2013-2014 OABS Members

Kaiti Shelton kaiti.shelton at gmail.com
Tue Nov 5 01:56:03 UTC 2013

Hello OABSters,

I hope you all have had a great start to your week, and that those of you
who went to convention enjoyed your time there.  I know for me the topics
covered in general session were really informative and entertaining.  By the
way, minutes from the OABS business meeting are attached.

For those who may not be as familiar with me, I am Kaiti Shelton and I will
be serving as OABS president for this year.  I am a sophomore at the
University of Dayton, where I am majoring in music therapy with minors in
psychology and philosophy.  I am so excited for this year and what OABS can
accomplish.  I know that you all have some great and creative ideas and I
have a few as well.  I hope that by coming together we can utilize our
talents and strengths to take this division further than it has gone before.

A few general notes to start the year off.  The rest of your 2013-2014 OABS
board is as follows:  Aleeha Dudley, Vice president; Lillie Pennington,
Secretary; and Abby Bolling, Treasurer.  Deborah Kendrick will continue to
act as our liaison to the affiliate, and I would like to set up committees
with appointed coordinators or chairpersons as soon as possible so that we
can hit the ground running with some projects.  I intend for each person who
is willing to give their time and effort to have a job of some sort, and I
will be sending emails out to those of you who have expressed a sincere
interest in OABS with a job proposal either tonight or tomorrow night.  If
you would like a job and do not hear from me by Thursday evening at the
latest, please do not hesitate to make yourself and your desire to get more
involved in the division known.  There is a chance that we might be getting
some new members who were not able to attend convention, and I intend to at
least put them on committees for starters while they become acquainted with
the organization and see what we're all about.  I firmly believe that the
more people we have working towards our goals, the more successful we will
be in reaching them.  I will send out a list of the appointed coordinators
once all of them have accepted their positions.

I would like to see our membership move from using a general email like this
one to using the list serve which was specifically set up to be used by this
group, as it will make group communication a lot easier for coordinators,
officers, and the division in general.  To join the list, please visit
nfbnet.org, and click on the link which says, "Join or drop nfbnet mailing
lists."  Find the link to the OABS list by either using your find command
and the word "OABS," or scrolling down.  Click on the link and follow the
subscription instructions.  Should you experience difficulty in joining this
list, I would be happy to assist you in solving the problem.  My contact
information will follow at the end of this email.

Our first conference call will be held on Friday November 15 at 7:00 PM.
Call information will follow the week of the meeting.  In this meeting we
will be reviewing the responsibilities of each officer, and will formally
establish committees/coordinator positions so that everyone will know their
duties to the group.  Deborah Kendrick will be joining us on the call, so
she will be able to provide insight from her years of experience as a leader
in the Ohio affiliate.  I would encourage all of you to call in, as this
will be the meeting that will lay the foundation for what we do in the
months to come.

Finally, to wrap up I will repeat how excited I am for the potential in this
group.  I think that with a little effort and coordination we can really
take this group somewhere great, and can make it a fun and exciting
division.  I look forward to working with each of you, and can't wait to see
what we can accomplish.

If you wish to get in touch with me I can be reached at this email address,
kaiti.shelton at gmail.com, or by phone at (513)285-2072.

Kaiti Shelton

University of Dayton---2016

Music Therapy Major, Psychology Minor, Clarinet

Ohio Association of Blind Students, President

Advocates for Sexual Assault Prevention (ASAP), Vice President

NFB Community Service Group, Service Project Committee Chair

Sigma Alpha Iota-Delta Sigma, Usher Coordinator