[Oabs] Independence

Ryan Silveira ryan.l.silveira at gmail.com
Wed Apr 30 04:26:21 UTC 2014

Hi All,

I was thinking today
 on the matter of independence.  There has, of late, been a fair amount of discussion on the subject on the NABS list, so I thought I might bring it up on this one.  Most sighted people take what we call “independent living skills” (e.g. making a bed, cooking, cleaning, etc.) for granted.  They learn those skills by watching others as they grow up.  We, however, cannot learn by watching our parents.  We also may perform some of the tasks above with some modifications.  There are several ways blind and visually impaired people learn these skills.  Some spend time with their parents showing them what to do, some have private instruction by a teacher of rehabilitation and some attend training centers such as the Colorado Center for the Blind, the Louisiana Center for the Blind, Blind, inc. or World Services for the Blind.  I was wondering how all of you learned the independence skills that will allow you to succeed on your own in high school, college and beyond?

For my part, I did learn much from my parents, though I also attended summer programs at the Perkins School for the Blind and the Carroll Center for the Blind.  In addition, thought it was not my main focus, the skills were perfected during the beginning of my time at World Services for the Blind.  What about the rest of you all?

Ryan L. Silveira
Corresponding Secretary
Ohio Association of Blind Students
A Division of the National Federation of the Blind of Ohio
(203) 731-7580
ryan.l.silveira at gmail.com