[Oabs] Committee meeting attendance

Kaiti Shelton kaiti.shelton at gmail.com
Mon Dec 15 22:06:25 UTC 2014

Hi, all,

I'm somewhat perplexed by the issues we're having with committee
attendance.  Both fundraising and membership efforts are key to
continued growth as a division, and Emily and Aleeha are truly doing
all they can to make meetings open to everyone.  November's membership
meeting was really great, but there is no reason why it should be a
shiniing star as far as meetings go.  Every meeting should, at the
very least, have quorem so that business can be conducted.  The
meetings do not necessarily have to be long like that one from
November was, but they should be productive.  Emily and Aleeha both
prepare what they want to discuss ahead of time, so they are doing the
heavy lifting for their respective committes.  All you have to do is
show up on the call, provide some input as to what you think would be
best for the division and its efforts, and maybe do a share of the
work of the committee by making phone calls, sending an email, etc.

I know that the meetings are on Friday nights; trust me, I've been
trying to move them to a week night for some time now, but with
everyone on different academic schedules and in different groups on
campus, Fridays were what we had to work with.  I have said before
that I'm always open to suggestions, so if you have an idea that might
allow for us to meet more easily, I'm all ears.  I also know that the
last two committee meetings have fallen at awkward times, with
Fundraising right after Thanksgiving and last Friday's meeting right
before finals.  Trust me, I had a lot of studying to do and a huge
paper to write, and I think Aleeha had other things she could have
been doing with her time as well as well as Emily last month, but if
we want to move this division forward we've all got to put in a little
time once or twice a month to get together, talk about our goals, and
put them into action.

I have not received a single picture or video clip to add to the
membership video.  We're still sitting around 40 or 50 seconds just
with slides with text saying who we are, and a picture of us accepting
our award at this past convention.  I'd love for this video to be a
few minutes long so people can get a brief, but thurrough taste of
what OABS is about.  I'd also like to include pictures from most if
not all of the members so that people who view the video can see
various campuses, activities and interests our members are involved
in, and how not just one but multiple blind students are typical
college students living the lives they want.

I'm hoping that this has just been a result of the finals crunch, and
that after the Holidays we won't have so many issues with attendance.
As for the fundraising meeting, I would suggest that it be pushed back
a week to Jan second.  I know that puts us into the next month, but it
still leaves a good chunk of time between meetings.  Just my thoughts.

I'll end by asking everyone to please be considerate of Emily and
Aleeha, as well as anyone else who shows up to these 1 or 2 man
meetings.  It can be really frustrating to show up and be prepared to
get something accomplished, only to find that quorem has not been met
because someone forgot.  Also, Aleeha and Emily are just as busy as
the rest of us.  I do not fault them when reminders are not sent out
24 hours in advance because A, neither of them gives reminders on
short notice often and B, unless you hear that a committee is not
meeting you should assume that it is.  I'm sure Emily and Aleeha would
appreciate it if someone asked if a meeting was scheduled if they were
unsure, and we're certainly all capable of keeping individual
calendars.  The reminders that Emily and Aleeha send out are a
courtesy, but we all have responsibilities to these committees.

Enough of the heavy... I'm tired out after two finals today, and need
to study/finish my paper for the exams I have tomorrow.  Thankfully, I
know that I did pretty well today.  I hope everyone else who is taking
finals can say the same.  Study hard, stay warm, and come to committee
meetings and our general meeting on Friday.

Kaiti.

***PS: Board members, I hope you don't mind that I wait till Thursday
to organize our meeting over break.  That will be when my finals are
done and everyone elses are winding down, and although I wanted to
send something out tonight I really do need to prep for my Child Psych
exam tomorrow.  I am sorry for the delay both to you and myself, but I
know you will all understand as you're either hanging tough with me,
or just had finals last week.