[Oabs] The Sightless Children's Club

Chaim B. Segal chaimsegal at sbcglobal.net
Mon Dec 15 17:55:59 UTC 2014

Hi Kaiti:

Greetings! Chaim Segal here. I'm not sure if I have introduced myself to the Oabs list yet or not. I am currently a Wright State Student, majoring in Rehabilitation Services. I am not your average college student; I'm pursuing my degree a bit late in the game. That's another subject.

Before I speak to you about the Sightless Children's Club, I want to make mention to you concerning my involvement with the NFB over the years. I officially join'ed the NFB in 1992, when the Dayton Chapter president was Mr. Claude Ray who is now deceased. I attended my first national convention in Charlotte that summer. I forget how it was funded, but I think the Sightless Children's Club may have paid my initial attendance costs. In reading the __BRAILLE __MONITOR, over the years, I was amazed to see how many high school students were able to attend various conferences over the year, and wondered how they got their funding to attend. It seemed at the time that I was a member that there were very few younger people involved besides myself. (I am 46 years old now.)

Back in 1993, I answered inquiry calls for our chapter. I could not attend the convention that summer because I was in training at LWSV. I attended the 1994 and 1995 conventions in Detroit and Chicago respectively. I also attended an Ohio convention  one year.

After 1995, my involvement with NFB dissipated, I confess, primarily due to the October 95 edition of the __BRAILLE __MONITOR. I also did not like the NFB's position on certain matters. Nevertheless, I always have felt that the NFB has been needed as a vital force to "get the word out there" regarding blindness. I stand with the NFB 100 percent with regard to preserving Braille. I think it is a joke that at OSSB, Braille is now offered as a "forecgn language elective." If I was the school superintendent, I would make Braille instruction a compulsory part of the curriculum for all children entering the school, who do not have any other disability which would prevent them from learning it. When I was a student there back in 1985-1987, I witnessed many of my classmates struggling to read print and getting headaches on account of it. When I suggested they learn Braille, they were inherently negative about the prospect. I was subsequently informed that the movement against Braille came about through somebody in the 1970's, who felt that Talking Books and the tape recorder was the answer. False!

I am entertaining the idea of rejoining the NFB as an at-large member. I would like to be more involved, but due to the fact that our chapter (like many others) meets on Saturday afternoon, attending meetings is not possible due to my observance of the Jewish Sabbath. However, I feel that rejoining would be a good move, considering the fact that I am majoring in Rehabilitation Services, and could network with others in the NFB who are working in this arena. I wish that the national convention would have better hours for viewing exhibits, but I I will refrain from discussing this further so as not to cause discord. I will be happy to discuss this with anybody off-list.

Okay. The Sightless Children's Club:

>From early in my life until around 13 years ago, I was a beneficiary of this organization. As a youngster, I benefitted from their purchasing of brailleers, talking calculators, and (before I lost usable vision), closed circuit TVS in public school. For a year or two my father was the club's president. At that time, the club had activities, such as talent shows, Christmas parties, and picnics. Our family's participation and acquaintance with the club waned throughout the 80s. My parents and I began attending once again in 1990, after I started taking courses at Sinclair Community College, where by the way, I work as a customer service representative. Over the course of the 80s, the Club had purchased Sinclair its first, then second Kurzweil Reading Machines. Subsequently, they purchased Sinclair their licenses for JAWS and Duxbury. At some point, they stopped doing this, and now Sinclair has to rely on Wright State for accommodating blind students. This is one of a few major reasons why I switched schools this year.

The Sightless Children's Club purchased me my first two computers, two printers, a Juliet, JAWS and other software, and a multi-track cassette recorder and Yamaha synthesizer to use for an amateur home studio. Essentially, they filled in for me where BSVI either would not or could not do so. The last two items they purchased for me were a classic Braille Lite, than a Millennium a year later. Since that time, my brother and I attended a few meetings with our parents but then quite suddenly, the club seemed to go underground. Last I remember, they had a problem with people from different parts of the state asking for equipment. The board had hoped that similar clubs of parents of blind children would form  in cities throughout the country. Its original intent was  to serve to benefit blind children, and later adults throughout Montgomery County.

Back in the fall of 1990 when I requested my first computer, (a Toshiba Laptop), I offered to become an official member to lend my services and advice as a form of reciprocation. I was nearly 22 years old at the time, and felt that if I was going to take, I should also give back. Mrs. Schear, who is no longer living, who held a prominent position in the club for nearly its entire existence), told me that they preferred that we recipients stayed out,  and that it would "cause problems" for them if we joined with our parents.

I find it interesting that supposedly there is an anti-Braille sentiment within the club, especially when I recall how much braille-related equipment they have purchased for me et Al in the past. If they still exist, I'm wondering if they have fewer donors, and thus they are trying to keep their costs down.

        I have been trying to track down the Sightless Children's Club for reasons of my own. Last I heard, they purchased some equipment for two boys in a family I'm acquainted with, who have since left town. I have called their contact person, visited their web site, and sent voice mail and E-mails which have not been returned. Though I am on Facebook, I never go on it at this point. I have pretty much written the Sightless Children's Club off as being defunct, but would like to know if anybody knows anything also.

Thanks!

Chaim

Chaim B. Segal
E-mail: chaimsegal at sbcglobal.net

Every man, woman, every boy and girl,
Let your love light shine, make a better world.
[Daryl Hall & John Oates