[Oabs] Upcoming. Planning for August and Beyond

Kaiti Shelton kaiti.shelton at gmail.com
Thu Jul 24 22:41:21 UTC 2014

Hi, OABSters,

I was just thinking about planning for the month of August and the
coming semester, and thought that what I was thinking should be shared
over the list in the event that we have low attendance at our make up
meeting/fundraising committee meeting on Friday.  I hope that I am not
jinxing us by sending this out (knock on wood), please do come unless
you are totally prevented from doing so.  We need to touch base for
this month, and can't allow July to slip through our fingers.

Thinking ahead to August, it's been a while since we've had a board
meeting.  Our regularly scheduled meeting will be held on the 15th.  I
know it is supposed to be a membership meeting in August, but with the
way June and July thus far has gone for us, I really think we need to
make August a business meeting.  Plus, I would also like to fill out
the award packet in August so we can be in the running for a division
Gavel Award, and in order to do so I need to gather accurate
information from everyone so I can enter it on the sheet.  This will
be accomplished most easily if the entire division is in attendance
and is able to contribute to the form at one time.  I know that
everyone will be getting ready to go back to school, but with that I
think August would be a perfect time for the board to convene to plan
for the following semester.  My proposal is that we have a business
meeting on the night of the 15th, per our regular schedule, and then
plan to have the board meeting on either the following Saturday or
Sunday night, also at 7:30.  Board members, please let me know your
thoughts on this so that I can adequately provide notice per our
constitutional guidelines.

In the meantime, please consider the following questions and prepare
your answers for discussion at our August meeting.
A.  What is my schedule going to be like for this semester?  Are there
any nights of the week that absolutely will not work for me to attend
OABS meetings due to other obligations?  We will decide our meeting
time at least for September and October at this meeting.
B.  Am I planning on coming to state convention Nov 1-3 in Columbus?
We will like to have an idea of who is at least planning on going to
convention so we can work on our convention fundraiser, and know who
will be available to bring food and host guests from the affiliate.
C.  What would I like to see at the OABS seminar?  Thoughts on past
division seminars, and suggestions for this year's meeting on the
Saturday of convention.  Any suggestions are welcome.  Do we want to
have an informational program, something to build a sense of teamwork
and community in the division, or something else?  Bring your ideas.

Please note that if we have everyone in attendance for our makeup
meeting this Friday, some of these items may be able to be taken care
of sooner rather than later.  I would like to get a jump on filling
out the awards packet because that is the item which is likely to take
the most time in our August meeting, and because the sooner I get it
in to the awards committee the better we'll all feel.  I really would
rather not have a gigantic meeting in August, or have to table any
business to the board meeting or the September meeting due to lack of
attendance.  Let's just get it done and make a strong push through
convention with fundraising, spirit for the division and the
affiliate, and in our work as students!