[Social-sciences-list] How and When to Let Prospective Employers Know About Vision Loss

David Andrews dandrews at visi.com
Sun Apr 28 00:31:18 UTC 2013

This is the $64,000 question for blind people looking for
jobs.  There isn't one fits all answer.  Some variables include the
personality of the person, their experience, the field of endeavor,
interview process, how much sight they may or may not have, etc.

If you tell too early then you may not be considered, and if you tell
too late, the employer may feel tricked.  Some of us have no sight
and can't try to act as sighted, some may be able to do
that.  However, depending on the accommodations you may need, this
may not be a good approach.

For me I usually don't tell initially, but bring it up before any interview.

Dave