[Ag-eq] Quiet list

Jody W. Ianuzzi jody at thewhitehats.com
Tue Feb 14 14:24:07 UTC 2012

Hello aleena,

You wrote "the people around here don't think you can be safe in a class
with other riders".

When I started riding again my mother asked what the instructor thought
about me riding?  I explained that since she didn't know me or anything
about blindness, she would probably automatically say no since that is the
gut response from sighted people.

I explained to her that I stopped asking permission years ago.  At 59 I
realize that if I want anything in life I have to take charge.  It is always
better to ask forgiveness then permission so I just plow ahead, tell people
what I am going to do and how I am going to do it.

You have gotten as far as you have gotten by being confident and assetive
and advocating for yourself.  Call it the Maverick approach but it works!
Don't ask, tell them a class would work just fine, the horse can see where
he is going and you will fit right in and learn from listening to the others
in the class too.

When people say you can't do it, just take an 'oh yeah' approach and do it
anyway.  That includes riding and labs too.

Did you ever read WHITE COAT, WHITE CANE?  It is the story of David Hartmann
who went to Tufts Medical School back in the 70s.  When asked why they
should admit him rather then a sighted student he said because they would
miss out on having him there.  He did the labs and the internship and
residency and completed all the work.

Go for it!

JODY