[Ag-eq] weaning the goats

Susan Roe dogwoodfarm at verizon.net
Fri May 4 16:46:08 UTC 2012

Hello Nella,

Your babies sound so cute!  I know whenever we get our doe goat and she has
her first babies, Matt is going to have a hard time when it comes time to
ween them.  He has such a soft heart for that kind of thing.  Poor Homer is
having to deal with at least 3 different litters of kittens in the barn and
it really agitates him when they are crying for attention.  He even has a
litter of two that were actually born in his stall and now occupy the area
between his sleeping pallet and the backside of the wall.  Homer also has
about 5 cats that sleep in his stall, just beyond the edges of his pallet.
Homer has decided he is not a nanny goat and resents the idea of being a
nurse maid to all of these kittens.  So far, they all do a good job of
staying out of his way.  LOL

Sorry to hear about your older goat and your hen.  It is good she passed in
her sleep quietly.  I can't bare to watch an animal suffer and linger due to
age, disease or injury.  Before I went for my Seeing Eye dog, I informed my
family that if the situation arose where I had to make that descision for
her that I was not going to take any arguement.  I am a firm believer in
quality of life for animals.  It is not unusual for your hen to die like
that.  She could have even been egg bound.

Your garden sounds wonderful!  I am jellous over your tomatoes.  We don't
get full ripe tomatoes around here until July.  That is when we have the
Hanover Tomato Festival.

Susan
Dogwoodfarm at verizon.net