[Ag-eq] Catching Up

Susan Roe dogwoodfarm at verizon.net
Wed Oct 10 11:14:46 UTC 2012

Hi Nella and everyone,

I go to my own doctor this morning to check my blood level for the blood
thinners.  I am giving myself a shot of blood thinner in my belly twice a
day and a blood thinner pill in the evening until my numbers level out.
This in addition to my everyday meds and insolin in my tummy as well.  Oh
yay!  My entire belly and abdomin looks like a mule kicked me a good one.
The only good thing about that is at least it doesn't hurt like as if that
mule really did wack me a good one.  LOL

Both Honey Crisps and Pink Lady apples grow in our mountain areas which is
about a nice two hour drive.  We can go to Carter's Grove and either pick
our own or by them by the bushel and half bushel box already picked.  I am
really looking forward to the Pink Lady apples coming in.  You can find both
of them in local stors, but they seem to be bigger straight from the fields.
That is why I nearly pushed my husband out of the door to get my Honey Crisp
apples from our produce guy because he had just gotten them off the truck
directly from the mountains!

I have been canning all of my life ever since I was about four years old and
could help my mother sort jars, lids and rings as she canned loads of
vegetables, pickels, and jelly.  I love every step but do mostly hot water
bath.  We have a pressure cooker and I will do all aspects of it except
setting the rocker ball on top.  That job is left for my husband because if
he blows the rocker ball off and lodges it up in the exhaust fan, like he
did when he was a teen pressure cooking pumpkin, he can't blame it on me.  I
didn't falloff the turnip truck yesterday, you know.

Even my husband Matt loves to can.  He is in Seattle now visiting his
brother and helping him clean out his garden for the winter.  His brother
has friends that press their own cider and they did that this past Sunday,
where he took home six gallons of freshly pressed cider and two garbage bags
of apples.  He told Matt that he really didn't want to take all those apples
and would probably just throw them away.  I would have loved have been a fly
on the wall when big brother gave little brother the lecture on not waisting
nature's bounty when it was soconveniently dropped in your lap.  So needless
to say, they have already canned apple green tomato chutney and Matt was
reading up on his brother's dehydrater and is sure to have that up and
running today.  I reminded him that if there was a slow cooker that they
could also do the apple butter as well.  Don has a steam canner that Matt
was really interested in that uses only inches of water rather than enough
water to cover the jars.  You only have to boil the water until steam comes
out of small top vents and then start your timer accordingly.  I don't think
this would be easy for the blind to use alone, but they could with someone
else.  If I know my husband, we may be adding one to my canning inventory.

 I'm glad my posts are being so enjoyed.  I do a bit of writing and have
posted about fourteen articles to Matilda Ziegler Magazine.  I am really
thinking about having a running journel style collection of "Views from my
Front Porch" as a reference for what works and what fails miserably on our
adventures here on Dogwood Farm.  We'll see what pops up in the near future.
Still working on our farm cookbook and Matt has definitely been enjoying
being our number one taste tester.

Well buy for now, gotta get this morning started and morning chors done
before heading out to the doctor office.  Then out to lunch with my sister,
pick up a bail of hay for Homer, a few things from the grocery store, of
course we can't forget the stop at the drug store and then home in time for
evening feeding, feed ourselves and then crashing in front of the tv before
heading off to bed.  LOL

Susan
dogwoodfarm at verizon.net