[Ag-eq] Hens in the City

Susan Roe dogwoodfarm at verizon.net
Fri Nov 23 01:59:22 UTC 2012

Chesapeake lets residents own up to 6 hens in city. By Marjon Rostami The
Virginian-Pilot November 21, 2012 CHESAPEAKE Backyard chickens are free to
roam
- within their coups - in the city. The City Council voted Tuesday to allow
up to six laying hens in neighborhoods, with a provision to review the code
change in one year to decide whether to make it permanent. Since summer, a
group called 4 Chesapeake Hens, which makes most of its announcements via
Facebook,
had lobbied the Planning Commission and the City Council to allow for a
backyard flock. After the vote, dozens of supporters gathered in the City
Hall
lobby, hugging one another and cheering their victory. Oh, my God. I can't
believe that happened," said Wendy Camacho, a chicken advocate from South
Norfolk.
Did that really just happen? The group's calculated and persistent actions
won over the council in a 6-3 vote. Vice Mayor John de Triquet, and council
members Debbie Ritter and Rick West voted against the measure. Ritter and de
Triquet said people move into their communities with certain expectations
and the code change could negatively affect neighborhoods. Ritter said she
did not think the idea could be publicly accepted yet. Nationally, backyard
hens have become a growing trend, from people housing chickens on Brooklyn
rooftops to home schools and 4H programs. Before Tuesday night's vote,
chickens
were allowed only in residential estate and agricultural districts but not
in typical subdivisions. Mary Lou Burke, who has headed the charge for
chickens,
said 4 Chesapeake Hens will continue its public education on chickens and
organic gardens and will partner with the library to hold information
sessions.
We're so happy," she said after a group picture in the City Hall lobby.
Earlier in the day, Burke pledged to make chickens an election issue if the
council
voted down their request. I kind of had an idea when we got here that we
would have the votes," she said of the council. Marjon Rostami,
757-222-5207,
marjon.rostami at pilotonline.com