[Ag-eq] sheep and dogs

Tracy Carcione carcione at access.net
Wed Apr 17 12:51:37 UTC 2013

The remedy I learned at guide dog school, and have since heard TV dog
trainers recommend is:
Do all the things you do when you're leaving--pick up your purse, put on
your coat, whatever.  Go out, and go out of sight.  Come back in a minute or
two.  If the dog starts to carry on before you go back, go back and tell him
"Quiet", then leave again.  Gradually increase the time you're out.
The theory is that this technique teaches the dog that, even when you go
out, you come back--he's not really being abandonned.

Jody, I think it's so funny/cool that your horse moves forwards backwards
left and right, just like on Clinton Anderson's show!  I often threaten my
Seeing Eye dog with teaching him that.  He's not particularly respectful, as
Clint would say.