[Ag-eq] livestock guardians

Jewel jewelblanch at kinect.co.nz
Mon Sep 1 01:50:01 UTC 2014

    Personally, I have little  knowledge of livestock guardian dogs, but, I understand from
conversations I have had with those that do, that they are very good at their designated job .
Nella!  If you can, get an adult or advanced one that has already had experience with the job.  They
do come up for rehoming occasionally because one of their less desirable traits is that they bark
almost the entire night;  the slightest sound or scent of a possible predator carried on the breeze
will trigger * NOISE, and lots of it!  This, of course, is to tell, invaders that the territory is
spoken for, but is a trait that does not go down too well with neighbours if they sleep within
hearing range of a large dog's large bark.

If you get a pup, make sure that it comes from a line of successful LGDs.
An LGD does spend its entire life with the flock, but, for purposes of animal welfare, you should
supply it with a kennel:  which it may choose never to use: and, naturally, as though I need to add
this:  food.
I don't think that it is possible:  but I could be wrong:  for the dog to be both a companion dog
and a livestock guardian.
Be a good friend to your dog, but the "Hale fellow, well met!" meet and greet sessions are
accomplished while still out in the pasture with his flock mates.
On the goatsplus list, we have a lady who has a LGD, Misty, who she was, seriously, for a while,
considering rehoming because the paddock where it looked after its charges was right outside her and
her husband's bedroom window, but she decided that Misty was doing such a wonderful job at keeping
the varmints at bay that she and he would just have to get used to her constant barking, which they
have done!
When Marie got Misty, she had 2 goats, one of which was an incorrigible escape artist, and Misty's
presence made no difference to Frankie's determination to get out.
Marie rehomed Frankie and his goat cobber with a large herd, and Misty was left with the feathery
flock of chooks, which she constantly rounds up to the chooks great alarm as they have visions of
their heads being snatched off!  Nothing could be further from Misty's mind, but try and convince
the chooks of that!  Save your breath:  they won't believe a word of it!
Before Misty came on the scene, there was a varmint, perhaps a raccoon,  living on the property
which used to steal the eggs, and also kill the occasional layer of those eggs, but there has not
been a theft or death for a very long time now!