[Ag-eq] bit about women farmers on the radio

nfoster at extremezone.com nfoster at extremezone.com
Thu Sep 10 21:52:39 UTC 2015

Tracy:

Is that a show on NPR?

I would like to find it and listen to it.

I'm just getting started with this, so time will tell about how I do.  I only
have 3 acres, so can't have to much live stock.  I'm also considering a small
greenhouse for the future.  I seem to be good with herbs, so am thinking about
starting and selling herbs.  I've also been experimenting with making herbal
skin care things, like facial washes.  People really like my soap, so maybe the
other things would go over to.

Tracy I'm sure you could be very successful with plants or vegies; you seem to
have a green thumb.

I bet your neighbors hate you for having a perfect yard.  You probably make them
all look bad!

Living and working on your own farm does make some things more easy.  You're
already at work and you can set things up the way you want.  As you said you
don't have to prove yourself to a boss.  If you have a good product people will
buy.  From all my research and talking with small farmers it seems the key is
finding a nitch market.  I've been making contact with the Moslem comunity in
my area and they are very interested in purchasing milk and any goats I want to
sell for meat.  They are much more accustomed to goat milk and meat than beef
products.  I'm also connecting with the hippie types that want organic fresh
foods.  I've also found a couple of local gift stores that will carry my soap.

Transportation can be an issue, but if you live on your farm you're already at
work.  You can arrange transportation for a few days a week rather than
everyday.

Nella