[Akron-Talk] a motivating welcome--great read

Dave Bertsch dwbertsch at hotmail.com
Wed Sep 5 14:31:52 UTC 2018

We got a really nice welcome message from Pamela Allen, the 1st VP of the NFB. She provided a link to a speech delivered in 2015 by then NFB President Marc Maurer. You can read or listen to the speech by clicking the link below. Pamela also shared some great comments. One thing she said I liked a lot, here it is-One of the things I love most about the Federation is that we have something for everyone-something to share, a mentor to meet, a way to give. The Federation is comprised of blind people of all ages who know the power of working together to shatter the misconceptions about blindness that pervade our society. As a member of the NFB, I know that you will be motivated by involvement in your local chapter and state affiliate. I also encourage you to join one or more of our national divisions where you can connect with and learn from other blind people who share a common profession or interest like education, engineering or law. Check out all of the resources we offer through our website and via social media outlets, like Twitter and Facebook. Read our publications, like the Braille Monitor and Future Reflections. Make plans to attend our state and national conferences and to participate in other seminars and workshops we offer. Whether you are someone who is new to blindness or have been blind your whole life, a parent or teacher of a blind child, a senior experiencing vision loss, someone who recently lost your vision and are wondering how you can return to employment, or a blind college student seeking mentors for your education and career, we need you! We want to hear your ideas, answer your questions, and help you turn your dreams into reality! Being a member of the National Federation of the Blind will challenge you; will shape your ideas and attitudes about blindness, will push you out of your comfort zone, will give you hope, and will allow you to give back to others.

Wow. I read this twice.

Here's the link:

https://nfb.org/images/nfb/publications/bm/bm15/bm1509/bm150904.htm

Have a great day!