[Akron-Talk] minutes from September 21

Dave Bertsch dwbertsch at hotmail.com
Mon Oct 14 14:21:55 UTC 2019

Greater Akron Chapter
Sept 21, 2019 met at Haven of Rest Ministries, Akron
The group met at 10:30 am at the Front Lobby of the Haven of Rest Ministries.  The Director, Mike Solosky gave brief discussion and tour of the facilities.  We learned how the Haven of Rest serves the community and has been a staple in the Akron community for a long time.  The Haven of Rest provided a generous lunch for everyone.

There was a total of 9 members attended.  Dave Bertsch called the meeting to order. He read the One Minute Message for the NFB. The National Federation of the Blind knows that blindness is not the characteristic that defines you or your future. Every day we raise the expectations of blind people, because low expectations create obstacles between blind people and our dreams. You can live the life you want; blindness is not what holds you back. He also announced the Sept Birthdays.

President's remarks:
Dave announced the chapter will now have a Veterans Committee, and Ken Maher will be the chairperson.

Reports
Secretary Report: Minutes will be approved at the October meeting.

Treasurer Report: Pat - There were no expenses. Total ending balance $242.98.
Committee Reports:
Publicity and Social Media: Dave discussed the use of Facebook with updates up to 46 followers.

Newsline Committee: Pat discussed Newsline and the importance of use for reporting purposes for the Gavel report to the State.

Outreach Committee: Andra recapped her conference call on for community events.  Our group will work to promote Meet the Blind Month which is in October as well as October 15 which is White Cane Awareness Day.
Fundraising Committee: Dave passed out fliers for our 1st fundraiser on October 3rd at Beef o Brady's in Stow, 12-8 pm.  We will be hosting a table for outreach at the front lobby.  Participation throughout the day is encouraged. Everyone is encouraged to promote the event with social media, and word of mouth.

Dave passed out letters on behalf of the Chapter to those who will be asking businesses for donations for the chapter or the State Convention.  He was already able to obtain several cash donations and some gift prizes that can be used for events, or giveaways.
On a previous conference call, we discussed the purchase of 4x5 tablecover with our logo for $60. We also discussed the purchase of NFB wristbands, $225 for 500 to use to sell at the convention.  With a motion from Pat and a second from Colleen, we were able to move forward for the purchases.

State Convention Committee: Pat and Andra gave updates on the State Convention Nov 1- Nov 3. Deadline to register for the Hotel is October 11 @ $89/night.  Everyone must register for the convention by October 24, send registration form or register online.  We would need assistance from the group for getting the donations before the convention.  Our BBQ basket was discussed, with the items still needed.  We have several sauces already donated, with a picnic basket, cooking utensils, plates and napkins.

Events Committee: no new updates.

Membership Committee: Stephanie told the group that Alex French is in Louisiana for training. Jamie Smith has been ill, and Kathy fell and broke her collar bone.

Other Business and Important Dates:
October 2 Fundraiser at Beef o Brady's
October 19 meeting at Library - room 1 - 11 am.
November 1, 2, 3 State Convention in Columbus
November 16 meeting at Library - room 1 - 11 am

Pat motioned to adjourn the meeting and Jessica  2nd.
Minutes submitted by Stephanie Bertsch, Secretary