[Art_beyond_sight_advocacy] RE Urgent! Visually Impaired and Blind Photographers - Final

Tina Paulick kaosskwien at gmail.com
Wed Jun 10 07:53:25 UTC 2015

Dear Simon,

We started our German blog www.bildbeschreibungen.wordpress.com some years
ago, but we wanted to make our projects more widely available so we started
setting up an English website recently.
 www.photonarrations.wordpress.com.

Pictures for the blind and sighted was initiated by Berlin based
photographer Karsten Hein who did a series of portraits of blind and
visually impaired people. Some of his models said they would like to try
photography themselves. So Karsten started workshops for them. He offers
modules on blind photography on the Alice Salomon academy in Berlin.

Each photographer gets a group of students who assist him or her in taking
and selecting pictures for the final exhibition. In order to do that the
students described the pictures in more detail.

We wanted to make pictures and descriptions available to the public so we
set up our blogs. Picture descriptions are an art form consisting of picture
and text. Describing pictures to blind people makes sighted people question
the way they see and teaches them to look closer. Furthermore, it encourages
dialogue and better understanding on both sides.

We’re always looking for blind photographers to send us pictures to be
described and to write texts about their art. Sighted people who want to
describe pictures are welcome to get in touch too:

Pictesc at gmail.com

You can also find us on:
Facebook https://www.facebook.com/picdesc?ref=hl
Twitter https://twitter.com/PicDesc
Google+ https://plus.google.com/u/0/100026505628248020097/posts

Another of our projects was a fashion show with Braille texts on the
clothes. Models and visitors were blind. The exhibition consisting of the
clothes and a picture series is currently touring Germany.

All the best
Tina