[Art_beyond_sight_educators] Talented Blind Teenage Artists In Shanghai

fnugg at online.no fnugg at online.no
Fri Oct 5 11:35:12 UTC 2012

Talented Blind Teenage Artists In Shanghai

About two months ago, just before coming to Belgium, I went on a 10 day
trip to Shanghai to visit my mum and obviously to eat. While I was
there, my mum took me to visit a close friend of hers whom I’m well
acquainted with and who I know as Professor Liu. Professor Liu is an
artist and a well known sculptor in China, he runs an art studio in a
government subsidized artists village on the outskirts of the city where
he employs about a dozen or so talented people whom he trains and who
help him with his work. I normally visit him when I’m back and take the
chance to view some of the new artworks that the studio has produced.

However, on this visit I stumbled upon one of his classes that he was
teaching and I discovered something that I found incredibly impressive
and admirable. Instead of teaching the adults (18+) and tertiary
students that he usually teaches he was instructing teenagers and not
only that, but they were also visually impaired. Although, teaching an
art class to handicapped students isn’t something inconceivable, it’s
the level of talent and the dedication that these students had that
really moved me.

http://fromnowhereinparticular.wordpress.com/2012/08/31/talented-blind-teenage-artists-in-shanghai/