[Art_beyond_sight_educators] {Disarmed} Album cover, animator

fnugg at online.no fnugg at online.no
Fri Oct 16 08:26:03 UTC 2015

Vibrant vision

Hospital walls splashed with 'blind' artist's early work
Ransom Memorial Hospital’s conference room offers a visual treasure
visitors might not realize at first glance.
Decorated with art from Jeff Hanson’s collection “Sight for Sore Eyes,”
the paintings bring vibrant splashes of color to an otherwise beige room.
http://www.ottawaherald.com/news/local/hospital-walls-splashed-with-blind-artist-s-early-work/article_41be43a3-c08e-5840-b13c-64c46a484656.html
Roy Nachum, the Artist Behind Rihanna’s /Anti/ Cover, Explains What It
/All/ Means
The cover image is actually part of the Israeli-born artist’s “Blind”
series, which largely focuses on the concepts of inner and outer vision
and the metaphor of “opening” viewers’ eyes. Most of Nachum’s works
include subjects with obstructed eyesight and corresponding messages in
Braille. “I wanted to do something that opened people’s eyes and let
people think,” he said. “On the other side, it’s an opportunity [for]
people who cannot see [to] experience visual art as well.” Nachum was so
dedicated to this idea that he once spent a week blindfolded to further
evolve his artistic vision. “I think it was one of the most important
things that I did,” he said
  http://www.vanityfair.com/culture/2015/10/rihanna-anti-cover-what-it-means-roy-nachum

Meet The Man Behind Rihanna’s ‘Anti’ Artwork, Roy Nachum
*/On its meaning:/*
“I’ve been doing experimental work of human perception and sight. So for
the last seven years, I’m writing Braille poetry, which encompasses
sculpture in it on the canvas, and then I paint over it. So I kind of
want to open people’s eyes to the real things in life … so I close
/my/ eyes. The process for that was me closing my eyes for a whole week
to experience how it is to be blind. If I want to do art, if I’m going
to do an experiment with sight, then I need to close my eyes and start
from that. That’s the first step I need to do. So I did it for a whole
week, and since then, I started creating. I started creating all those
paintings and installations, sculptures.”
http://www.vibe.com/2015/10/rihanna-anti-artwork-artist-roy-nachum/

Rihanna Artist Roy Nachum on 'Anti' Album Cover: 'A Lot of People Can
See It & Connect With My Art'
http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/6722685/rihanna-anti-album-cover-artist-roy-nachum-interview
Bloomfield Hills painter mixes it up for emotional expressions
Being partially color-blind never kept artist Jon Parlangeli of
Bloomfield Hills from experimenting with color while painting.

If anything, it motivated him to learn all he could about color,
pigments, tones and what happens when you combine them.

His latest exhibit, “Coming Home — Color and Light” will be displayed at
The Woods Gallery through Nov. 13 with an opening reception 6:30-8:30
p.m. Thursday, Oct. 15.
http://www.theoaklandpress.com/arts-and-entertainment/20151013/bloomfield-hills-painter-mixes-it-up-for-emotional-expressions

New art exhibit provides sensory experience

Lydia Olvera Blanchard has made it her mission to teach visually
impaired children that the word “impossible” really means “I’m possible.”

Blanchard is the creator of the Sensory and Perception Experience art
exhibit, which opened Friday night at the Historic Brownsville Museum,
at 641 East Madison in Brownsville.

Instead of seeing the exhibit, the artwork is meant to be felt.
She and other local artists banded together to bring an unusual
experience that, to her knowledge, is the first of its kind in the Rio
GrandeValley.
http://www.brownsvilleherald.com/premium/article_7f5739f8-6fbe-11e5-9201-b320db7c34f1.html

Color me blind.
The story of a blind artist

Despite a visual impairment, Joshua Baker could not be more passionate
about his major.

As a sophomore at Longwood University, Baker is not your average
student, with a major in Graphic Design and Animation he is an artist
that is unique to say the very least.

He was born with a genetic condition called Ocular Albinism with
Nystagmus, a condition that primarily affects the eyes’ capability to
produce pigment according to the National Organization of Rare
Disorders, causing him to be legally blind.
http://www.therotundaonline.com/features/color-me-blind/article_9a5200f8-6d4d-11e5-92c4-fbbb78b889d0.html