[AutonomousVehicles] hello from a very interested and excitednfbmember

Donald Winiecki dwiniecki at handid.org
Thu Jun 7 02:24:18 UTC 2018

You're right Dave, there are different standards -- we expect that
autonomous vehicles will be safer than is the current state of affairs.
This is because, if a person encounters an unpredictable situation, he or
she may not be held accountable for the situation, even while being legally
responsible for the outcomes -- the law understands that a driver's
reactions are made in the heat of the moment and any judgments made have to
consider context.  However, if an autonomous car gets into an accident, it
is because the engineers designed it to behave the way it did in that
situation, and the whole company would be liable for any single accident
because the car's behavior is built in.

This will take lots of technical and social innovations.

For example, if autonomous vehicles are designed to operate on a network in
which each car is able to 'talk to' nearby vehicles, then cars on the road
can pack together like schools of fish or swarms of insects, while never
touching each other and always adapting to the small changes that will
inevitably occur in road conditions, weather and so on.  If those same
networks extend miles ahead, then these schools or swarms of cars will have
information that enables them to slow and stop -- if necessary -- before
arriving at the traffic jam or stoppage. Both of these things will make
cars safer and even more efficient.

If all cars have this sort of network transponder, then perhaps we will end
up with the expectation that pedestrians have similar devices somehow built
into their clothing, phones, bags, bikes, or scooters, so that cars know
where they (that is, we) are.  We may find that we have to accommodate the
cars in some cases, rather than the other way around.

Networks that support this sort of thing almost have to be separate from
the current Internet, and made more durable and less prone to hacking.
(But what person would want to wear a beacon that allows anything or anyone
connected to the network to know where they are?  But of course, we already
have that with our cellphones...)

If cars no longer require windows for drivers to see, then cars can be
designed to be much stronger and able to protect passengers in the event of
any kind of collision. The passenger compartment would be quite literally a
capsule that could withstand severe impacts. All passengers would
reasonably have to be strapped in like pilots or astronauts in their
cockpits.  Windows could be replaced with screens that project pictures of
the outside, or of anything else entirely!

All of these things will take new technical innovations, as well as new
regulations and even laws, and along the way, every person will have to
acclimate to these new technological possibilities and leashes.  The new
constituency of drivers who are blind or visually impaired, or otherwise
prevented from driving current automobiles, will have to become a vocal and
participating group in ensuring that the whole system is working for
themselves and everyone.

_don

​
​
Don Winiecki, Ed.D., Ph.D.
*Professor of Ethics & Morality in Professional Practice*
Boise State University, College of Engineering
E-mail: dwiniecki at boisestate.edu