[Blind-international-students] Cameroonian wants to study in the U.S.

Anmol Bhatia anmolpbhatia at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 23 13:54:38 UTC 2011

Hi,
First welcome to the list.
I am Anmol and I study at the University of Arkansas. I did my undergraduate at Henderson State University in Arkadelphia. It is a small liber arts college in South Arkansas. The college is in a small town and the university's population is about 3000 students vary much manageable for a blind student. The disability services is one the best I have had in any college and the staff is vary friendly and helpful. In addition, most of my classes were thought in the political science department and the faculty is extremely friendly and accomadating for any student with disabilities. In addition, the university has had alot of students from Cameroon. At one time I believe we had about 50 or more students from Cameroon and we also had a student in wheel chair who is from Cameroon and graduated with three majors: math, computer science and another one which I can not remember.
The cost is certainly a issue for all international students and unfortunately there are only limited scholarships available for international students, but HSU is certainly although not the cheapest college, but certainly afordable. I believe with room board and
the cost of studies, the cost will come to about 6,000 dollars a year.
Have you heard of Mobility International USA M (MIUSA)? It is a international clearing house for people with disabilities.
You can visit their webcite at
www.miusa.org
The webcite includes a section on scholarship opportunities that international students with disabilities can qualify for and a host of other information which I think you would find interesting.
You can visit the webcite of Henderson State University at
www.hsu.edu
If you wish, you can email one of the counselor who works at the disability services.
Her name is Beverly Quillin and her email is
quillib at hsu.edu
You can let her know that I refered you to her.
Feel free to email me off list if I can be of any more assistant.

good luck
Anmol Bhatia

I seldom think about my limitations, and they never make me sad. Perhaps there is just a touch of yearning at times; but it is vague, like a breeze among flowers.
Hellen Keller