[Blind-rollers] dealing with job interviews

AgapeDEW at aol.com AgapeDEW at aol.com
Thu Aug 20 02:35:29 UTC 2009

I have a dilemma here as regards to applying for jobs.  I submitted my
resume for a ministry position and sent my portfolio of letter references,
professional certifications etc.  All the letter references were of people
that knew me in the position before I got MS and lost my vision/using
wheelchair.
The church is not local so I can't have someone cruise by and see if its
handicapped accessible.  (Don't all say well its a law they have to
be...because my church is not 4/5 not accessible to me but I enjoy the people  and
for now I am there as a member only.)  So, the next step will be a
conference call from the committee.  Do I tell them I am in a wheelchair  and have
the vision loss then?  I can still do the job description as long  as the
building is accessible.  I will have to adapt to the job using my  computer with
Jaws.  Ok...just say I get past the second step to the  interview in which
I will have to fly there.  What if I get there and find  out the building is
NOT handicap accessible?  I do not want my challenges  to be such a prize
they are not comfortable at the interview.  I thought  perhaps after the
telephone conference....and I know I am feeling good about the  match
too...mention to the pastor so he can prepare his committee?  Or  should I wait and
challenge them about building accessibility and if I am truly  the person for
the ministry position, they will remove those obstacles for me  and others
with physical challenges?  Thanks for your input....I really  want to get
back into ministry but have not worked since this all happened and  am a bit
insecure....Please help!