[Blind-rollers] too close

Criminal Justice Major orleans24 at comcast.net
Fri Feb 8 23:02:53 UTC 2013

Hi, all,
Earlier today while I was practicing a street crossing at Colfax and Colorado Boulevard in my power chair and while using my cane,
Brook, my mobility instructor was beside me.
Suddenly, a fire truck came out of nowhere and it was scary as I was still finishing up my crossing over colorado Boulevard going east bound.
The fire truck was coming toward Brook and i.
It felt as if the truck were on top of me.
Truth is that it really wasn't.
As it came closer, Brook wanted me to let her take over the joy stick of my power chair to get us out of the way quickly.
The fire truck quickly went behid us and moved on.
When I returned home, i immediately contacted the 3 1 1 city service office and told the operator of what happened.
He immediately connected me to the direct line for Fire and Dispatch.
I was able to bring up my concern on what happened during my O&M lesson.
It turned out that the fire truck was responding to a fire in a commercial building and when they got the call of not only a fire alarm, sprinklers were activated, so the call was treated as a real fire.
I did get a call back from the lutennant from Fire station15 earlier as he let me know that he did see me a block away and told his other partner to slow down so I'd have time to get across the intersection.
They were also tryint to avoid people from being able to start blasting down Colfax or trying to make a turn to where I would have been hit.
I did tell the lutennant that my instructor and I were all right that no one was hurt upon the whole situation happening so quickly scared the crud out of me.
I did let him know and the same with a dispatcher that I would be willing to teach a blindness class since I have lots of free time on my hands.
Both dispatcher and lutenant of Station15 informed me they do two sensitivity classes twice yearly as well as EMS at Denver Health Medical.
During the sensitivity classes, the firemen have to experience sitting in a wheelchair, using a support cane, feel what it's like to be an amputee and more.
This is the one day where I wished Odie was with me.
He'd immediately let me know that an emergency vehicle would be coming toward us.
During the situation since the red and blue lights were flashing, I had to quickly cover my fact with the collar of my jacket to stop any possible affixuation of where I'd possibly encounter an appending seizure.
Thankfully, everything ended well on a good note.
Bibi, husband dale and son Odie
the happy spirited bounty labrawolf