[blindkid] Braille reading speed-Good News and Bad News

Mike Freeman k7uij at panix.com
Tue Mar 10 02:24:34 UTC 2009

I would also like to see the following test applied to both children and
adults. The only problem is that no one could afford it.

WE all hear that adults learning braille cannot be expected to reach the
same reading speeds as should be expected of blind children who start
out reading it early. In a sense, this seems fair in that children who
read braile from the get-go and become adults presumably have had more
time to practice than are those adults newly come to braille. However, I
do not believe that this has truly been put to the test.

I would like to set up a situation wherein blind adults starting from
scratch would be guaranteed a winning Powerball ticket if they can read
fluently at three hundred wpm after three months of braille instruction.
*Then* we could see whether or not our expectations of lowered reading
rates were truly valid or not. For my part, I can tell you that I'd be
reading three hundred wpm or better.

Something on that same order might be tried for kids -- say ten thousand
bucks if after a year they are reading three hundred wpm. (grin)

But none of us can afford to set up that test.

Yee haw!

Mike Freeman