[blindkid] Conformer question?

Richard Holloway rholloway at gopbc.org
Thu May 14 04:16:53 UTC 2009

(Sorry of this gets posted twice-- I sent it first from the wrong
email address before and it got bounced back pending approval to post
by moderator.)

Our daughter wears scleral shells (often called painted shells or
prosthetics) in both eyes. She started with conformers (basically
clear versions of scleral shells) first in one eye and then in both.
We switched to painted shells at around age 4. Kendra has virtually no
eye on one side-- so small that doctors first thought it was missing.
Her other eye is smaller than average and soon needed a conformer as
she began to grow. (This is why we started with only the one
conformer.) Both her conformers and shells have all been made of the
same basic acrylic material. Sometimes existing shells are actually
made larger as children grow by adding more clear acrylic material to
existing painted shells. The functional difference in the two is
cosmetic only.

Our daughter is able to wear her shells for weeks or months without
removing them. Once she begins to outgrow them or occasionally when
one gets bumped the wrong way it can rotate and need straightening or
fall out. Our Ocularist tells us that some people leave them in all
the time while others remove them at night, generally because extended
wear is uncomfortable for some people. Our daughter gets quite upset
at the feeling of having hers removed so we keep them in virtually all
the time. If one falls out for her she wants it back in IMMEDIATELY. I
can't speak to any adjustment at getting used to these because our
chid has nearly always had these so it is all she knows but again her
complaints are exclusively from having them out.

Not only can the gap from a missing or small eye effect the appearance
of the eye, the lid growth and so forth, but we were advised that
cranial development itself can be effected by a lack of pressure
against the growing, developing bone inside the eye socket so I would
suggest looking into this sooner as opposed to waiting. We have been
very pleased overall with our conformers and scleral shells over the
years. Ours look so realistic that people often have no idea that they
are not real eyes until they notice that our child has no visual
"reaction" to what she is appearing to look towards. In most cases,
they can actually move about like normal eyes and the direction of the
pupils is generally adjusted to look as if eyes are looking straight
ahead when the eyes are relaxed no matter where the actual organic
eyes are aimed beneath them.

For us, we have one which is like a huge, thick contact lens, covering
the whole eye while the other is more like a complete eye with only a
tiny space in the back to fit over a tiny eye (a few mm in diameter).
The shape of these is a custom fit based on a mold taken from the eye
socket. For adults and older children this can often be done in a few
minutes in the Ocularist's office. Younger kids generally have to be
but under anesthesia to get a proper mold of the required shape.

As one might expect, for Kendra, the thin one stays in better than the
thicker one. In fact I cannot remember taking out the thin one in the
last six months or perhaps even a year though the thick one may stay
in for many months as well when it is fitting properly. We're going
soon for a refitting since the larger one has been falling out more
often lately but we clearly find that the older Kendra gets, the
longer we go between size adjustments.

Richard Holloway, Vice President
Georgia Organization of Parents of Blind Children
www.gopbc.org