[blindkid] music camps

Barbara.Mathews at sce.com Barbara.Mathews at sce.com
Wed Jan 27 07:36:31 UTC 2010

      Kyra and I did an in-service for high school teachers right before
the start of Kyra's freshman year.  Her high school is very large, but it's
divided into "houses" -- each has a principal and staff, and most of a
student's classes are in his/her assigned house, at least in the first
couple years.  I met over the summer with the house principal.  On one of
the few days before school started when the teachers were back, the
principal had a staff meeting.   We took about 45 minutes of the meeting to
talk about blindness.  I talked about blind people who are mathematicians,
scientists, lawyers and teachers, about high expectations, independence and
canes.  Kyra showed them the BrailleNote and talked about how she uses a
computer.  The VI teacher was there and we talked about braille textbooks
and how teachers could get materials brailled or otherwise put into an
accessible format.  It was very worthwhile. Thanks, Carol, for remembering
that.

             "Bonnie Lucas"
             <lucas.bonnie at gma
             il.com>                                                    To
             Sent by:                  "NFBnet Blind Kid Mailing List,
             blindkid-bounces@         \(for parents of blind children\)"
             nfbnet.org                <blindkid at nfbnet.org>
                                                                        cc

             01/26/2010 07:32                                      Subject
             PM                        Re: [blindkid] music camps

             Please respond to
             "NFBnet Blind Kid
               Mailing List,
             \(for parents of
             blind children\)"
             <blindkid at nfbnet.
                   org>

Carol, I think your idea of inservice for high school teachers is an
excellent idea. the trick will be to find a time when most of them can
come.
They have cut out any extra time for teachers to do these kinds of things.
The teachers have almost no time before school starts and the high school
teachers who come for Aubrie's IEP at the end of Feb. will be there for
only
an hour. Could you think of some ideas of what you might suggest could and
should be included in such an inservice? It would be the kind of thing
where
you would want absolutely every minute to count and having the perfect
handouts would be very important.

Bonnie