[blindkid] Raised line drawing

Carol Castellano blindchildren at verizon.net
Wed Apr 6 03:25:39 UTC 2011

Hi Alison,

These kits do make raised lines, but I would say they would not be
easy to use by a 2-year-old.  There is an easy product to use--both
for teachers and for Nate--and that is a coloring screen.  It's a
piece of window screening laid over a piece of strong cardboard, with
the edges safely taped.  You can then paper clip or tape a piece of
paper on it and draw or color.  (POBC-NJ makes them and sells them
for $5 :-).)

They're nice because Nate will not only be able to feel his drawing,
but he'll also get a nice vibration up his arm when he colors on the
screen and he'll hear the noise as he moves the crayon or pen.

Also, has Nate tried Wikki Stix?  They are great.  To this day we use
them to illustrate things with Serena.

Carol

Carol Castellano
Director of Programs