[blindkid] Braille please?

Bo Page bo.page at sbcglobal.net
Thu Nov 14 13:51:02 UTC 2013

Just wanted to add my experience on this topic.  My daughter is a 21 year old braille user.  I've discovered that it's important that a blind student learns braille immediately in kindergarten, but at some point they need to learn keyboarding. They will need this experience when they are in college in order to communicate with their professors.  Keyboarding allows my daughter to engage in Facebook conversations and the like.  She reads her assignments in school in braille and types out her homework.  My daughter has CP affecting her hands and so her typing is slow, but she keeps practicing.  She loves being able to communicate on the same level as her sighted peers.  It empowers her.  Had my daughter only brailled up until this point, she would be at a severe disadvantage.