[blindkid] Dealing with selfish behavior

Allison Hilliker via blindkid blindkid at nfbnet.org
Mon Jun 2 14:54:46 UTC 2014

Hi Traci,

Sounds like you've been having quite a rough time! I think your idea about having your daughter do volunteer work is a good one and you're on the right track there.

I have a different theory of what could be behind her selfish behavior that no one else here has mentioned yet. It's just a guess though because I've never met your daughter...

Could some of her bossiness and selfish behavior come from special privelages she's given because she's blind? I know most of us don't think we give blind kids special privledges, but even if we don't, teachers and other adults in their lives might be.

Wwhen I was a kid, my 3rd grade teacher always let me walk at the head of the line because I was partially blind. I was so young then that I didn't even realize that my blindness was the reason for this special treatment. In my 8-y-o brain, I just thought that the teacher believed I was better and smarter than the other kids so I got to walk up front. When I later learned otherwise, I didn't want to be at the front anymore. But for a while, I had a misguided belief that I was somehow better than the other kids. That, combined with my naturally strong personality, probably made me kinda bossy.

The point is that, whether we do it directly or indirectly, or whether we mean to or not, we often give blind kids special privledges. Because these kids are young and still learning how the world works, this special treatment can be misinterpreted and lead the child to believe that she's just better somehow and doesn't have to play by the same rules as everybody else.

I'd recommend thinking about the areas in your daughter's life where she might accidentally be getting the message that she's better or more deserving somehow. Are there any chors that she doesn't have to perform just because she's blind? Does she ever get to skip assignments in class that other students have to do? Does she get special rules/treatment when groups of kids are playing games? There are dozens of possible areas where a blind kid could be getting special privledges and those privledges can have the unintended consequence of making her feel more important than other people.

Just a thought. Hope it was helpful.

Best,
Allison