[blindlaw] NationalFederationof theBlindRejectsNelson-CollinsAmendment

Joe Orozco jsorozco at gmail.com
Mon Feb 9 16:29:43 UTC 2009

Hello,

To be fair, the National Center has begun the era of Web 2.0 as it pertains
to youth outreach.  I believe it is not enough to establish a presence on a
system and believe it is sufficient to automatically expand.  One should be
strategic about what features are used and what is the end goal for hosting
said features in the first place, but staff in Baltimore have recognized the
explosion of online communication for what it is.

In the case of legislative advocacy, the implementation of an instant alert
system is not difficult.  A service like Constant Contact would suffice for
an e-mail blast to anyone who chooses to subscribe to the alerts.  A Twitter
account has already been established, and a strategic combination of both
these features on top of a blog with RSS feeds could facilitate the person's
ability to receive the news as it happens.

Unless things have changed, I believe the current alerts only go out to
legislative contacts across state affiliates.  One only hopes these alerts
will be picked up and forwarded to the public list-serves in time to give
people the opportunity to act as requested.

Now, this is only the notification.  Because people are inherently lazy, the
web site needs to be configured to facilitate the user's ability to quickly
find their representative and senators and then be given the choice to
either use a template of the message that needs to go out or generate a
personal message of one's own.  One should also have the capacity to track
changes to pending legislation as is true of the GovTrack service.

I disagree with Joseph that we should settle for what we have.  Yes, by all
means maximize the resources currently available to get the current task
completed, but I see nothing wrong with revisiting the point of expansion.
National Center staff do in fact have a lot on their plate, and it's easy
for us to criticize the things that do not exist because we are not the ones
responsible for programming the systems.  Yet, it is not so easy to merely
volunteer because services like Constant Contact, Sales Force  and Convio
cost money of the variety only the National Center can put forth.  Perhaps
there is a midway point members can offer assistance in a way that rhymes
with the Center's priorities?

Joe Orozco

"Be ashamed to die until you have won some victory for humanity."--James M.
Barrie