[blindlaw] job discrimination

McCarthy, Jim JMcCarthy at nfb.org
Tue Feb 24 17:04:23 UTC 2009

There are two lines of inquiry in this thread I will address.  The
first, is Mr. Carter's understanding of the Disabled Adult Child status
under Social Security.  It is an unfortunate truth that all too often,
staff at the Social Security Administration does a terrible job
explaining their disability programs.  The fact is probably that they
really don't know these programs themselves and cannot, therefore
explain them to us.  Basically though Disabled Adult Child (DAC) status
is exactly like SSDI.  The primary difference is that a DAC cannot keep
benefits if he or she marries someone who does not receive social
security benefits.  Even Supplemental Security Income benefits
terminates DAC status as would social security benefits to a student
under 18.   Therefore, if one is a blind DAC, blindness rules including
the higher SGA amount apply.

Now, I will address the stimulus.  There is a $250 amount to be paid to
every Social Security beneficiary, or Supplemental Security Income
recipient.  Getting both will not get a person two $250 payments though.
These are supposed to be provided between now and the end of May though
it will take some time to set up the payment mechanism so it seems that
most of the payments will be offered in April and May.  Other funding in
the legislation goes to state government agencies.  Vocational
Rehabilitation receives funding.  This funding comes to states based on
the rehab funding formula but there is no match requirement.  I am not
sure how Mark would prefer the funding to be given, but there is a
general government aversion to handing people sums of money and letting
them do as they wish.  It would be pretty much impossible to track how
the money was used if that were done.  Those of us who deal with rehab
though should start seeing a greater willingness from those agencies to
serve or at least lack of money should be less of a barrier.  I think
that the allotment is about 15% of the total that goes to rehab, though
the funding formula may create strange results in some states.  The fact
remains though that this is money to the states for rehab with no
strings!  The other disability related funding is less directly related
to employment.  It includes money for education and health care.
Jim McCarthy