[blindlaw] Legal research technology

Elizabeth Rene emrene at earthlink.net
Sat May 15 20:23:15 UTC 2010

In an earlier post today, I've asked blind lawyers to comment on their
experience as Federal attorneys.  I mentioned there that I hadn't practiced
for a while, pursuing instead post-graduate study and other interests
outside the Law.

When I left my last legal position, Windows was barely accessible, most of
my computer work was done in MS Dos, I scrutinized contracts with a CCT, and
I hunted for case law and Shepherdized opinions with an 8X magnifying glass.

Today on my laptop I use Windows XP with Service Pack Three, JAWS, and
Kurzweil 1000.  But I've never used any of the legal databases such as
Lexis.  Any ad hoc legal research I do these days, I do through Google.

Does anyone have suggestions on how I might finally haul myself into the
21st century?

Which computer-based research tools work best for you, and how have you
learned to use them?

Thanks,

Elizabeth