[blindlaw] blind attorneys

Daniel K. Beitz dbeitz at wiennergould.com
Mon Nov 22 15:25:35 UTC 2010

Hello:

I am a new subscriber to this list serve.  Perhaps my story can help.  I
currently work for a vehicle warranty law firm in the Detroit area.  I have
been practicing for 18 years.  What made the difference for me is finding
one person who believed in me and gave me a chance.  In law school, I
interviewed 50 times in four weeks without a single job offer, when my
classmates were doing very well.  On the 51st try, I landed a job at a big
firm that probably only hired me because they paid poorly and needed
graduates from my law school to put on the firm resume.  I nevertheless did
very well, and have not really been unemployed for the past 15 years.  In
1995, I started my own practice.  A friend of mine from law school who was
corporate counsel at a small auto supplier, hired me to try and quash
subpoenas sent to factory human resource directors for the testimony of
corporate employees.  The lawyer was simply trying to harass the company
that his opposing party worked for.  This was not exactly rewarding work,
but I got good results, and things grew from there.  I also signed up with
the county to defend hospitalized crazy people in involuntary commitment
hearings.  Believe me, these people needed to be involuntarily committed,
and the work was kind of a joke.  Nevertheless, I got to know the judges who
assigned the cases, and made a little money.  So, the trick is to get
started doing something, anything, and in a few years, maybe you'll get
somewhere.

I don't believe that the law has all that many accessibility barriers to the
blind, as other fields might have.  The only hindrance is bigoted lawyers.
You can't entirely over come that, but you can still succeed in spite of it.
Thus, I would not discourage a blind person from going to law school if it
is really what he/she wants to do.  However, it is a good idea to take stock
of the current state of the profession.  The profession is simply over
staffed for the amount of work.  There are many unemployed or under employed
sighted lawyers, so things are certainly not going to be easy for a blind
attorney, particularly a new lawyer.

Hope this helps.

Daniel K. Beitz
Wienner & Gould, P.C.
950 University Dr., Ste. 350
Rochester, MI  48307
Phone:  (248) 841-9405
Fax:  (248) 652-2729
dbeitz at wiennergould.com

This email transmission and any documents, files or previous email messages
attached to it may contain confidential information that is legally
privileged.  If you are not the intended recipient or the individual
responsible for delivering this email to the intended recipient, you are
hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, or distribution or use of any
of the information contained herein or attached to this email is strictly
prohibited.  Should you receive this communication in error, please notify
us immediately by replying to the sender of this email or by telephoning us
at (248) 841-9400.