[blindlaw] blind attorneys

ckrugman at sbcglobal.net ckrugman at sbcglobal.net
Sat Nov 27 20:06:08 UTC 2010

Over the years I have known several blind attorneys that were gainfully
employed. I met one in Michigan who at the time that I was in college in the
early 70's was a prosecuting attorney in Detroit and he subsequently was
elected as a judge. I was quite impressed that he had the Michigan Criminal
code statutes in Braille at the time. I also knew another attorney their
that had worked for a legal aid program and subsequently went in to private
practice specializing in landlord tenant law and was quite successful. As a
blind paralegal I freelance and am underemployed partly by choice so as not
to give up Social Security disability and Medicare benefits as this takes
the pressure off and allows me to pick and choose what I work on.
Realistically, there are many things that paralegals do that don't always
lend themselves to people with visual difficulties.
Chuck