[blindlaw] A word of caution concerning attending law school via distance learning

Patrick H Stiehm stiehm.law at juno.com
Sun Aug 7 20:08:45 UTC 2011

Over the last several days this list has had a rather extended
conversation concerning considering the option of attending law school
via distance learning, and specifically online legal education. Permit me
to say first of all, that I think online legal education has a very
bright future. It's recognition however, is not going to be realized
overnight because of the basic conservatism (some would say extreme
conservatism) of the American Bar Association and because the further
development of this option is contrary to the self interest of law
schools and their faculties.

The fact is however, that in California, the largest jurisdiction in the
nation, this option exists today. However, even for those who wish to
practice in California and/or jump through the other hoops necessary to
get licensed elsewhere it is best to thoroughly investigate any school
you are considering with respect to the success of its graduates in
taking the bar examination. In California you have to investigate both
the so-called baby bar which, I understand that you are required to take
and pass after your first year in a non-ABA accredited law school as well
as the California bar exam itself. I would think twice before enrolling
in a school with a very low percentage of its graduates passing the
California Bar either on the first or subsequent tries. It is a tragedy
to invest the money and time in a legal education where you cannot pass
the bar. The only thing you have at the end of that kind of process is a
very expensive piece of paper that says JD on it.

Stiehm Law Office
Alexandria, Virginia
703-722-6030 (Voice)
703-935-8266 (Fax)