[blindlaw] PDF files

David Andrews dandrews at visi.com
Thu Feb 3 02:39:34 UTC 2011

Brian:

The answer to your question is it depends.  First, there is probably
no perfect format.  If the PDF is produced properly it can and should
be accessible.  It however, can't be an image of a page, but must
contain text to be directly accessed.  Most PDF's are produced from
Microsoft Word files, and if this is used, the author should employ
"styles."  This way, when the conversion is done, the Adobe software
knows what is text, what is a graphic, what a table, what is a list etc.

Also, recent versions of your screen reader, and Adobe Acrobat Reader
should be used, as the tools have all improved.

There are lots of ways to product PDF's though, lots of ways to get
text on the page, lots of elements that can be contained ... etc.,
and not all will be accessible.  Thus my answer, it depends.

Things have generally improved, but we still aren't there.

Dave