[blindlaw] New Member Intro and Questions

Sy Hoekstra sy.hoekstra at gmail.com
Fri Apr 25 20:17:08 UTC 2014

Hi Amy,

I think the lack of response here is due to the fact that you ask a number
of large questions on which we could probably all write short books. I have
found though that the legal profession in general is pretty good about
accommodations, considering it is decently well-aware of the legal
obligations surrounding disability rights. I have had no trouble in law
school getting accommodations I need (I'm a 3L), and the LSAT, MPRE, and bar
exams are getting slowly more and more comfortable for visually impaired
people to get through. Though the accommodations process for the bar exam
can be a nightmare depending on the state you're in. I do all of my note
taking, outlining, and reading using JAWS, and I find that legal casebooks
are quite easy to get ahold of in electronic, accessible formats.

If you have any things you are particularly worried about, I would certainly
be happy to answer questions.

Best regards,
Sy