[blindlaw] Prelaw Suggestions - RE: few questions about college

Anita Keith-Foust anitakeithfoust at gmail.com
Wed Nov 5 13:41:45 UTC 2014

Dear Jorge:

I am new to BlindLaw and seeking guidance too.

Here is a link regarding your first concern, what divisions of law:
http://www.brown.edu/academics/college/advising/law-school/fields-law/fields
-law.

Based upon my experience, at my school the former chair of our political
science department refused to admit there was a prelaw program in existence
in the country. Shortly after he passed away preparation was put into place
for a prelaw program at my school.

I would recommend political science and history to prepare you. The
political science and history departments cover the political process and
the history surround the various events that led to the structure of U.S.
government and the laws.

Additionally, I had the opportunity to ask a dean of a law school what
majors would he recommend to prepare for law school, I was told and English
major because attorneys are professional writers. So, I highly recommend
taking as many English composition and high intensive writing courses if you
choose a major other than English.

If there are any courses that teach analytical thinking that would be great
too.

I would start preparing for the LSAT as soon as possible so that you can
gradually learn to master the materials. I would not wait until your senior
year to take the LSAT because things happen and you don't need the stress of
rushing. So, maybe taking it your junior year is probably a good move.

I hope that you find my suggestions helpful.

Thank you.

Anita Keith-Foust
919-430-1978