[blindlaw] inaccessible automated time / payroll / benefits system

Susan Kelly Susan.Kelly at pima.gov
Wed Nov 5 21:04:13 UTC 2014

Our county government implemented a new, fully automated time / payroll / benefits program this week, without any advance training to any of the end users.  Worse yet, after being unable to even access the training modules once they were made available, I learned that the program is not accessible to JAWS or any other screen reader.  This will be the only means for requesting vacation time, entering sick or vacation time (and hours worked, for non-exempt employees), accessing benefits and information about available sick / vacation hours, paystubs, etc.  It is also the only means by which we will be paid.  In short, the handful of visually impaired county employees such as myself will be forced to rely on the skill and accuracy of another to input our hours and requests, and will further have to permit someone other than just HR and our supervisor to access our account in order to get to the information stored there.

I know that these systems are becoming more and more popular in both the private and public sector,  Has NFB or any other organization litigated the ADA violations that this seems to involve?