[blindlaw] Accessibility of eDiscovery Platforms ...

Rod Alcidonis, Esquire Attorney at alcidonislaw.com
Thu Jul 7 16:19:23 UTC 2016

Elizabeth:

Government institutions represent the main cause of the problem. As long as
they keep purchasing JAWS without any demands from Freedom Scientific, each
update to the software will continue to be full of gimmicks ant not much to
be helpful in a job environment. If Freedom Scientific was a company truly
committed to accessibility and not just its bottom line, by now it would
fully support at least one major accounting software, legal practice
management software, and Etc.. This will happen only when the folks who
subsidize its existence begin to mount sufficient pressure to change the
status quo. Because the company fail so miserably in that department, I find
it to be a joke to continue to refer to JAWS as "Job Access With Speech" and
not as something else.

Currently, sound engineers have to work on their own accessibility package
to operate their studios. Lawyers have to develop custom scripts to get
basic access to case management software; accountants are in the same boat.
call center technologies have been left behind. Educators barely have access
to modern applications. But some how, Freedom Scientific remains the only
king in the industry.

Rod Alcidonis, Esq.