[blindlaw] schedule a hiring

Robin Barnes robinsensei at hotmail.com
Fri Sep 30 16:39:29 UTC 2016

Hi everyone,

I can't speak to the  attorney aspect of Daniel's question. But, I do
work for the federal government and was hired under the Schedule A
hiring process. I wasn't very familiar with it at all when I was hired
but have since done some research.
Agencies in the government have what they call special hiring
authorities. this grants people who fall into certain categories, a way
to get hired without having to go through the same competitive process
that others do. You still may get called in for an interview but there
may be other things that you wouldn't have to do. What those are, I
don't know. Each agency in each state usually has someone in charge of
schedule a hiring so they would be the best person to ask about the
process.    I work for the internal Revenue Service, and most people who
start with us are on a seasonal position. If you qualify and are hired
through a special hiring authority, particularly schedule a, you are
automatically permanent. That in intself is a blessing because you don't
have to worry about being furloughed and collecting unemployment during
that time.
When you create an account on usajobs.gov, it will ask you if you have a
disability, are a veteran, or a displaced employee with links to each of
those categories that provide an explanation. The information is
optional but may help when hiring occurs. A lot of times the
announcements for jobs are listed both competitively, and also under a
separate announcement specifically for peple like us.
I've been with the government for over ten years and I really do feel
like getting hired this way helped me. Try it.
Here are a couple of links that may help and good luck!!
www.opm.gov
www.usajobs.gov