[blindlaw] taking the bar exam

James T. Fetter jtfetter at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 14 13:46:04 UTC 2018

I'm not sure if any state would permit you to do this. Even if this is
an option, though, I would highly recommend taking the bar all at once
and getting it over with. There is a significant amount of overlap
between the MBE and state materials. And having done bar prep once, I
wouldn't recommend doing it twice, especially if you're working. Also, I
can't imagine that any legal employer would be impressed with
intentionally delaying your bar passage or splitting the exam somehow. I
don't know of any attorneys who have done this, and most employers would
wonder what else you couldn't handle, if you couldn't handle bar prep.
This wouldn't matter, once you pass but would make you a less attractive
candidate for any positions starting after law school but before bar
results.

The bar is difficult, but it is doable, if you put the work in on the
front end, take a few--or more than a few--deep breaths, and recognize
that the result, even if not positive, is not the end of the world.