[Blindmath] Mathematical document accessibility

Blind Collegian collegeandcareer at sbcglobal.net
Fri Mar 13 20:23:37 UTC 2009

Hello,
I am not using any of the other Braille math systems at this point, nor am I
using Nemeth Cod presently. Instead, I am producing my math work using a
standard QWERTY keyboard on the Braille Note or my laptop, then I would
print the unseemly work and hand it over to the instructor. I could also
e-mail the work in RTF or .doc formats, and I receive corrections or
comments back via e-mail. My instructor so far has no problem with this.
I admit the above approach is time consuming. Also, my keyboard is limited
in the number of math symbols I can use, making it difficult for me and
forcing me to come up with my own symbols to work around this limitation. If
I produce my work in nemeth Code and try to translate the work into readable
print, the teacher would complain that some symbols don't make sense and
cannot be easily deciphered. With LaTeX, very few teachers use it, and there
is steep learning curve involved. And if I try to print out my Nemeth Code
produced math directly from the BrailleNote, they make no sense to the naked
eye.
Lack of simple and efficient ways to do math that would not force the
student to rely on sighted help or deal with tedious translation from Nemeth
to standard print math has become a pain in the neck for me. I thought that
with our impressive array of technologies, inaccessible math should have
been a thing of the past.