[Blindmath] Sighted reading of Nemeth math

Blind Collegian collegeandcareer at sbcglobal.net
Tue Mar 17 14:47:53 UTC 2009

I think dictating the math to the transcriber sounds a good alternative. But
isn't it time consuming to do certain math problems that are not easily
dictated? For example, my professor asked me to do sets of long division
containing variables. It seems it is easier done on paper than a device like
the Pacmate, unless I use the six-dot keyboard to work with long divisions
and other math problems requiring lengthy step-by-step problem solving. In
this case, trying to dictate the whole process of slving the indicated
problems gets complicated. For that reason, I had to show my work by
manually transcribing the outcome to avoid mistakes with dictating.
I wish I was fully prepared to use LaTeX but as I said before, nobody in the
Science and math Dept I knew of used it, which discouraged me from learning
it. But it seems it is a necessity for me to gain a full grasp of LaTeX to
use in the future.
Thanks,