[Blindmath] LaTeX editor

Lloyd Rasmussen lras at loc.gov
Tue Nov 10 14:44:34 UTC 2009

Most of Cygwin runs in text mode at the Windows Command prompt, giving you
a BASH shell.  Emacs runs in text mode.  There are limitations with screen
readers in command prompt mode; I often use the mouse cursor of Window-Eyes
to read parts of the screen, and haven't tried to get productive in this
environment.  W-E does track the Cygwin cursor.

You can also run Xemacs in the Cygwin environment.  This runs in a
graphical mode which Window-Eyes treats like a Windows application,
complete with reasonable reading of the alt-key pull-down menus.  I have
heard of someone running Emacspeak within Cygwin, but I think it would be
fairly hard to set up.

At 03:19 AM 11/10/2009, you wrote:
>Andrew Stacey <andrew.stacey at math.ntnu.no> wrote:
>
> > I have used emacs under windows using cygwin.  I understand that there are
> > native binaries as well.  I have no idea about emacspeak, though.  The only
>
>The other issue is that on Linux, at least, if you run Emacs under X it will
>start a GUI rather than a console session. As I understand it, Windows always
>runs a graphical interface, and it is therefore possible that the native
>binaries could operate as a GUI and there might be accessibility problems in
>that case.
> > irritation I found with emacs under cygwin wasn't emacs' fault but was
> > because I couldn't figure out how to redefine my keyboard the way I wanted
> > to.
> >
> > Needless to say, I switched back to Linux as soon as I was able to.
>
>That's the way to go.

Lloyd Rasmussen, Senior Project Engineer, Engineering Section
National Library Service for the Blind and Physically Handicapped
Library of Congress    (202) 707-0535   <http://www.loc.gov/nls>
HOME:  <http://lras.home.sprynet.com>
The opinions expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent
those of NLS.