[Blindmath] Physics Lab Report

Michael Whapples mwhapples at aim.com
Tue Oct 13 09:24:31 UTC 2009

Firstly TeX, I don't know about protext, but I have used some other TeX
distributions (eg. miktex on windows). Typically for these you run the
latex command on the file and get a dvi output. Command would be
something like:
latex myfile.tex
Please note that you may need to run the latex command on a file a few
times, the reason I was given is that the first run gathers certain
information and then one of the later runs actually puts the correct
numbering on automatically number things.

To convert the dvi file to PDF use a command like:
dvipdf myfile.dvi

There are sometimes helpful programs (eg. pdflatex) which can do all the
above steps in one go.

Also check the output from LaTeX it will give you important warnings,
errors, etc (eg. its in that output you will find out that an equation
is too long for one line). Unfortunately the output from latex may
contain lots of other information.

I haven't used mathtype, so I am prepared to be corrected, but as I
understand it from what people say you type your word document as normal
and then use mathtype's latex mode to input equations (how you
use/access mathtype's latex input mode I don't know). Could someone who
knows more about mathtype confirm what the case actually is?

As for a diagram of lab equipment, yes I probably would ask a sighted
person to help produce a diagram and then scan it in (if they didn't
produce the diagram on the computer).

Michael Whapples